Can you Flex Acrylic?

I am trying to find out if you can use the flex cuts on acrylic and have it able to roll up without breaking, basically turning it into a mat. I am also curious if this is possible with wood. This would be something that would be rolled up and unrolled a lot. If anyone knows how Flex works exactly would greatly appreciate an explanation so I know what I need to make the cuts.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Are you referring to what is sometimes called a ‘living hinge’? I know that it can be done with wood, but I’ve not personally ever seen anyone do it with acrylic. Somehow, I don’t think acrylic could withstand repeated rolling and unrolling.
Try a search for living hinge first…

Then try the same for acrylic…

10 Likes

Like wood products, regular acrylic won’t take many bending cycles with a “living hinge”, so I suggest finding a more suitable material.

Romark makes a modified acrylic that is quite flexible and will probably work for you. It’s flexible enough that it would not even need the cutaways.

9 Likes

As stated here and elsewhere, regular acrylic will not withstand this. Even plywood won’t tolerate repeated flexing. The “living hinge” permits a rounded shape to be made, but it won’t work as an actual hinge.

3 Likes

Acrylic is notoriously brittle - so no, even with living hinge cuts it won’t roll like a mat repeatedly without breaking. Polypropylene will, but it doesn’t even need living hinge cuts to do so.

As for wood - it depends on the wood, the living hinge pattern and how tightly you roll it. I’ve had a book shaped lamp for years that still looks new but I’ve also made things that cracked on first assembly.

2 Likes

Short answer… No. Especially if you intend on rolling it up often. A silicone mat would be a better solution.

3 Likes

As noted even wood will not take that much bending before breaking, however., as it is frequently seen a line of sticks bonded to a flexible material might be a different matter. In addition at 300 degrees F (or thereabouts), acrylic will flex like rubber but get hard again as it cools.

A stack of sticks with a line of extra strong clear tape, or a similar flexible material held with a solvent glue at each end might do the trick for you, even if the tape needs to be replaced occasionally.

Acrylic can definitely be curved, but I would also be dubious about “rolled up and unrolled a lot”
/uploads/db6859/optimized/3X/4/c/4c203e1861935e0f064758905fa7d5cd29acd7af_2_690x388.jpg

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.