Can you show us some proof that thousands of GFs are being prepared for shipment?

For anyone in Mexico, paying for a GF back in 2015 is actually makes it cheaper now. Like, 8190.02 MXN cheaper. That’s about $396.93 USD in today’s exchange.

2015-10-23: 2000.00 USD = 33,077.03 MXN
2016-11-19: 2000.00 USD = 41,267.05 MXN

But of course if you’re talking unearned income from something you’ve not created and sold yet, well… that’s entirely different.

2 Likes

Yes I know that given the current economical situation I bought a “cheaper” GF back then than if I were to buy it today… but I bought it as an investment, which is at this very moment stuck in a promise :worried:

2 Likes

A reminder for everyone reading this is that you can always ask for your money to be returned and receive whatever revaluation of exchange rate they achieve.

Speculation on any possible earning potential is crystal ball wizardry.

3 Likes

You could say the same about pre-ordering a tool that has not been fully developed, tested and proven, and readily available on the market, then placing your income at stake on top of those other unknowns.

Except that laser cutters/engravers already have a solid track record as having lucrative potential. That’s why commercial machines start at $20k, $30k and only go up. They are proven worth it.

We all assumed the risk when we backed this program, and really, there is no risk since we can always get our money back… however you are never going to see another laser unit at the price level we have all been able to get here, not unless there is some other kickstarter for another company, and then you are right back into another waiting game.

4 Likes

If a poor workman blames his tools, then there should be an equivalent expression for believing that a laser will turn everything into gold.

4 Likes

Please take another look at our last update - schedule risk comes from many places; shipping itself is a relatively small part of the equation.

Unfortunately as several other pointed out, it’s frustratingly difficult to do that. We took a bunch of pictures and shot video footage of some assembly work last month - and it’s still awaiting approval from our manufacturer to share. It’s also not particularly instructive or interesting because it’s all tight closeups of steps that aren’t particularly sensitive.

23 Likes

It would not be particularly interesting to whom? “Potential” customers? OK I get that. We the faithful and the techie nerd herd contingent? Damn right it would be interesting!!! Don’t let “marketing” drive every disclosure you do.

11 Likes

In this case it’s their manufacturer controlling the disclosure to ensure their processes, which may be proprietary and protected, are not disclosed to the public.

4 Likes

Well, to be fair, he said it is not “Particularly” interesting. Not that they weren’t worth releasing. I took that to mean more of a “Even when we are able to release them, they won’t exactly satisfy the precise question which launched this thread”

5 Likes

The most interesting piece of information would be if Glowforge has achieved safety and EMC approvals yet. If not then it wouldn’t be wise to order all the components, let alone start building them as changes might be needed.

If it has then why not tell us? If it hasn’t by now then it looks unlikely they will ship in December.

6 Likes

Ok how about something like this?

“Here is a photo and or video of a Glowforge Pro hot off the production line and shipped to our HQ for testing. Active cooling is working like a charm and the pass through allowed us to create this really cool 4 foot long sign.”

you must have some in the office by now right?

7 Likes

You totally miss the point. It’s not about a pic from a secret factory, it’s about the more techie/less crafty crowdfunding base getting a little eye candy they enjoy seeing.

1 Like

Good point about the EMC and safety approvals, like UL listing status for those of us in the States. It would be great if @dan could comment on whether or not safety approvals have been received or when they are expected. Barring either of those could we please know if the approvals have been officially applied for yet?

3 Likes

I think the big catch is the wording being used. We are currently under the assumption that “ship 30-day crowdfunding units in December” is the same as “All users who ordered during crowdfunding will receive their unit in December.” So long as they ship one unit in December they haven’t lied, even if they know that is not what people expect.

It’s more likely that glowforges will begin shipping in December with a lucky few getting their units that month. The rest of us will get units as they are made throughout the next 3 month period, putting them in line to begin shipping non-crowdfunding units in March (their stated start time for wave 2).

I just wish they would be more transparent. All these threads are really just about one thing, when will I get my unit? Your average person doesn’t really want to see production lines or pictures of empty boxes ready to go. It’s just a manifestation of poor communication by glowforge in a time when communications should be increasing.

4 Likes

At the top of the page it says

We’re scheduled to ship all orders placed before Oct 25 2015 by the end of December.

So they should at least be shipped but may not arrive until some time in Jan. I don’t think it is very likely though.

6 Likes

To be honest, I’d like some news too, and having done a number of crowd funded and preorder projects I know that it matters to people to feel connected to the process and puts them at ease. Just knowing, roughly, that stuff is happening and seeing a tease now and then is nice for keeping the spirits up.

That said, I think that us fans probably underestimate the speed with which major manufacturing can happen. At full bore, a factory can bust out hundreds or thousands of things in a day. While my projects are not technology based, I still spend weeks of prep, looking at samples, waiting around and then you say “ok, go for it” and BAM the next day you have 5,000 items packaged and ready to go. While the GF will certainly take a bit of time to build, it’s not like they will have 5 people hand assembling things in a shack (at least, I surely hope not!)

11 Likes

I’m not worried. @dan has done quite a lot in the past year and change, taken a revolutionary new spin on laser cutting, and the proof is already shown in the progress. There’s a 22 minute video from tested that shows glowforge and Dan showing how the trace worked, how lining up a cut works, with a walnut and frosted acrylic tea light candle holder, and really, that was how long ago? The devout and regular forum users that have read most or all of the posts from the team have certainly had photos of progress. There are a handful of people with beta user tags pumping out pics. There is progress proven.

I just walked into my local Walmart and a sign said 35 days til Xmas. That’s 42 more days for the final progress to STILL HAPPEN for those first backers. So chill.

I had an idea for a product the summer before glowforge was even told to me. I got my business started, got my trademarks and patents sorted out, got the business licensing, website established, and after the headstart I had, I would say I still have less progress done than the GF team, lol. I have prototypes, I have custom crafted products, I have some repeat production designs, but I still have a ways to go.

All you naysayers should pipe down and respect the progress this company has proven already. What have YOU done since last October?

9 Likes

Perfectly understandable to be a bit antsy about delays, but the team has made a lot of progress over the last year, the betas have been churning out projects that display almost all of the functionality of the machines, and @dan is conspicuously absent from the forum these days except for the occasional pop-in to let us know he’s still breathing…ALL excellent signs that the machines are about to make their debut to an adoring audience.

Dan can’t show us proof, or make videos, or take pictures right now. He also can’t answer each individual question that gets directed to him specifically (much as he would like to, and I’m sure he does)…because he is currently busting his tail trying to get those machines out the door. That’s job one and it’s going to be nose to the grindstone until they ship. Also a very good sign.

The next scheduled update will come soon after November. They are planning a limited ship out of pre-production machines at the end of this month to some of the people who signed up for Beta testing. If that goes well, the machines will go into full production for delivery to the crowd-funders.

Unfortunately, that’s all that anybody knows right now…including Dan. :slight_smile:

If you need something to do to make the time pass, now might be a good time to pick up a few samples of things you want to use in the laser, work up a few designs, or do your holiday shopping to get it out of the way. I’m planning to cook up a bunch of meals and fill up the freezer, so we actually have something to eat once that email goes out…my way to try to get ahead of the game.

Lots of tacos in my future. :smile:

18 Likes

That was perfect. Setting a definitive time table for a definitive answer.

We’re easily assuaged.

3 Likes

Hah! Im in the March delivery group and I’m going to need every bit of that time to clean up my Post-Apocalyptic workspace to make room for the GF and the onslaught of materials to come along with it. Explosive hobby Disorder is a killer. :slight_smile:

15 Likes