Can you show us some proof that thousands of GFs are being prepared for shipment?

I know…but I have never quite understood it. We can choose to expect the best, or expect the worst – either way it is our choice and what happens will happen. But how we choose to think is how we rewire our thought processes – and pretty soon you expect the worst all the time. They’re going to be late, the movie is going to be lousy, the restaurant is never going to get my order right, my child is never going to pass that test…and the funny thing is that quite often that is exactly how it starts to work out. But – if you think the other way – they will be on time, the movie will be great, my dinner will be perfect, my child is going to pass with flying colors – it is amazing how often we end up being delighted with the result. Given that I control how I think, I like the latter way of looking at the world :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Can it cut through the full 9"? I think I’m in awe of your laser power.

3 Likes

I like your way of looking at the world!

5 Likes

Precisely how I try to look at the world!

6 Likes

Maybe this will help :smile:

22 Likes

LOOK he’s delivering my Glowforge!!!

WOOHOO!!! :grin:

7 Likes

Points for Indy reference!

7 Likes

:squee:

1 Like

Look, I have a secret agent locked away in my basement and it’s getting expensive to feed him and to replace all my evil minions he’s killed. Can you guys hurry up, I really need my GF Pro!!

11 Likes

Auric’s taking chances here. No laser eye protection.

4 Likes

No. That’s the depth the Z-axis can adjust through. It’s a 60W laser so pretty standard 1/4"-3/8" wood cutting (more for things like foams). But it means I can slide a cabinet door in and still get focus so I can etch them. I can also use a rotary axis attachment with bottles, jars, vases, glasses, mugs, etc.

None of that is possible with a GF. Fairly disappointing since it’s supposed to be a “Pro” model and it’s a pretty common feature set for professional grade lasers. I got over it though.

3 Likes

I’ve got an idea that I think might do for rotary work based on what I’ve seen of the machine design.

Once things settle down and I get a chance to experiment a little, I’ll make one, test it (only in the Basic…I didn’t order the Pro, so I’ll probably be limited to about a quarter inch on the top face unless I can convince @dan to lend me access to the Pro alignment software later for the testing), and if it works…the Glowfolk can have it. I just need some firm dimensions first, and they need to get this out of the way so they can focus on something other than the ship out.

There are going to be improvements to the machine down the road…the current limits aren’t necessarily going to be the limits for all time. This is just the first pass.

We’re Makers…you’ve got to know we’re going to fiddle with it. Chuckle!:wink:

6 Likes

I recall one Glowforge survey question asking something like “If you find a way to, will you modify your Glowforge?” And I actually laughed out loud and thought “Do you not know who you’re selling these things to?” On a scale of “No, things scare me.” through “Yes, I may do that,” I’m pretty sure my answer is “Eff, yeah! I’ve already got my screwdriver set sitting on my Glowforge bench!”

8 Likes

And the wrenches! :wink:

3 Likes

I have intentions to do hacks to my GF, but. I want to proceed way more carefully than I usually would, knowing that I could kill or blind myself or my family. (Lots of other projects I just rush in – last night I was debugging some leds, and decided “What if I just poke this wire onto that contact there, the worst that could happen is it blows out.”)

4 Likes

Sure. For me, I’ll find some Glowforge Hacks site (likely not a topic we’ll find on these forums, I’m betting) and wait for somebody way smarter than I to come up with a cool hack and then I’ll follow their directions after others say it works. :wink:

2 Likes

Excellent point…

(And I should probably mention in case @dan pops in, reads a bit, and has a coronary over the idea of people modifying the machine…the rotary idea is non-invasive.) :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah. I sorta kinda have a plan for a rotary thing involving some arduino and either a servo or a teeny stepper motor. The trick will be getting it in sync with the beam, and I have a really bad idea for that…

4 Likes

Hard for me to look at a machine and not Invision how it might be improved.
A year ago I had a lot of speculation on improving the design beyond where Glowforge drew the line on features such as Z depth or cooling to improve the duty cycle.
The more I have learned about the care and effort invested in the design, the less inclined I was to alter it.
I have pretty much decided not to hack into the elegant design of this quality machine, when for a few hundred $ I can get a cheap one that I could twattle with to my heart’s content - without degrading the value of my tuned and tweaked 'forge.

As with any of my “well laid plans”, they are all subject to change without notice. (which keeps her on her toes)

11 Likes

Dammit-all! I’m out of love again!

Please Stand By …

6 Likes