Candle holder prototyping

Starting to make progress on these little candle holders I’ve been working on! While I wouldn’t put an actual candle in one, these little LED flickering lights look awesome! This is still a work in progress, but I’m getting happier with these results. Still having troubles getting the finger joint settings correct in boxes.py, they are too tight on the sides and I broke one of the panels putting it together. The slots on the bottom are perfect fit though.

Also, the manatee on the inside was just cute so I added him lol.

31 Likes

Great design! (And the manatee makes it!) :smile:

3 Likes

Manatees make everything better lol

3 Likes

My first thought … that it was a platypus! Either way, it works!

3 Likes

I saw a platypus, too…

3 Likes

We happen to have one of each… :smile:

IMG_2669

8 Likes

I have found that a ring that holds the various lamps keeps them from sliding about. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Love the design!

2 Likes

@arh2 @ekla my wife saw a platypus as well lol

2 Likes

Engraving a place to sit works too:

4 Likes

I will try that as well, once I figure out the proper settings for the finger joints on the sides…

1 Like

The humidity in the air and phase of the moon seem to have an effect or at least it seams so.

2 Likes

No kidding…it can be frustrating to say the least. The weather here in Ohio has been horrible lately too. Humidity on average this past week was about 80-90%

2 Likes

I also made some that the lamp could go in the bottom with a bayonet lock

5 Likes

Coming along nicely.

I designed the main body in boxes.py, and I got the finger joints on the bottom piece to fit very nicely. The problem is the sides…I either need to make the pattern in the panels thicker, or not as large. I tried with another design and I have broken 2 different panels now. Only broke one on this new design, but still, it’s annoying. I think I may just take the boxes.py generated design and remove the fingers from the sides and just glue the sides…hmmm lol

2 Likes

I always use that as a start (if at all) but bring them into Inkscape to clean up. and there is a fair amount of cleaning needed. All the lines are two points and unconnected so connecting them is a chore, but fortunately you can do a lot of it all at once.

2 Likes

You don’t happen to have a tutorial on this do you lol?

1 Like

I did one but couldn’t find it. The image was still on the computer so I tossed it on. That image is the Key however to joining all the loose ends into a single object that fill works. Inkscape will try to join over the shortest distances which is very useful for doing many at a time. experimenting will teach a lot.

2 Likes