Can't get gantry back on track!

For the second time (first time was in early November) my gantry jumped the track on the right side. (Might be incorrectly using the term gantry vs laser arm?) I know what caused it-- had a piece of proofrade plywood that had become quite warped, and it must have been sticking up just a bit too much and got caught (when this happened on Nov 11-- that’s when I learned my lesson about material not sticking off the sides of the honeycomb, so similar terms of material-caused issue but slightly different re: positioning issue).

In November I was able to slowly cajole the wheels back on the track and was fine. This time I can slightly move the thin belt and wheels on the right side, but the left side seems to be all locked up (the gantry and such is in the upper left corner). I am really worried about trying too hard to push something. Advice on what to lift, what motions to try?

Help!

I’ve been following @Rita’s instructions from a post earlier this year as I did last time, but not feeling like I’m getting anywhere and very worried about breaking something.

" 1. Turn off your Glowforge
2. Try gently sliding the laser arm towards you a bit, perhaps moving one side, then the other. Whether or not that works, continue to the next step.
3. Placing one hand in front and one in back, gently lift up the laser arm on the right side, near where it shows that it’s off the track in your photo. Make sure your hands grip the metal bar, not the tube itself.
4. While lifting upwards, roll the the gantry towards you, then farther away a few times. Your goal is to straighten it out, so that it’s parallel to the front door. It will pop back onto the track where it belongs.
5. Once it’s on the track, place one hand on each side of the laser arm (left and right now, rather than front and back) and roll it to the center of your Glowforge. Then roll it back about three inches, forward to center and then 3 more inches towards you, and then do that a few more times.
6. Move the Printer Head to the approximate center of the laser arm.
7. Turn your Glowforge back on and continue printing."

2 Likes

Okay, replying to myself because I can’t delete the topic. I think I got it back on track. Took lots of force-- more than I wanted to use-- to get the left side unstuck just enough to be able to do it. Slow and steady.

2 Likes

Nerve-racking! Hope you are back in business now.

1 Like

Yes, sooooo nerve racking. Indeed back on track. :wink:

1 Like

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!