Canvas totes only wash out the engraving when cleaned

I was THRILLED after perfecting canvas engraving for a small farm’s produce stand. Just to see how it’d wash, I threw it in the cycle. … And all of the beautiful engraving went away :frowning:

Has anyone used a canvas product that will retain the design even after the wash?

Thanks, y’all!

1 Like

The engraving is burned material. When you wash it, the char goes away. You may need a material where the surface layer is burned away to reveal a different color. You could try painting on it and then burning away the paint.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

As already stated, the process of engraving is burning away some material - in this case canvas. You can try a colored canvas to see if the engraving process interacts with the fabric dye in a different way, but you may also want to consider other options. Using the Glowforge to make a stamp may result in personalized totes that last through the wash, or you can use the Glowforge to make a stencil and then mark the bags with paint pens or fabric paint.

4 Likes

If the bag design will stand it you could glue painted 1/16" Baltic Birch Plywood to the bag. the best glue and ability of the paint to keep soap out of the wood but it could be a very much more impressive bag.

2 Likes

I remember seeing a similar post a year or more ago.
:slightly_frowning_face: I don’t remember a follow up with better results unfortunately.

A thought occurred to me, what about framing canvas that you’ve engraved? You’d get an unusual art piece to sell, something not available elsewhere, and you’re still utilizing your GF and canvas.

Martha

4 Likes

Excellent insight, community! You guys are awesome - thanks!

3 Likes

Another thought - after seeing how people engrave blue jeans - what if you were to dye the bags before the engraving? (Just spitballing, but…)

3 Likes

That’s an interesting thought! I’ll try It THANKS

Could always wax the cotton canvas afterwards. That might work, not supposed to wash waxed cotton canvas anyway

1 Like