Capsaicin crazy

Sounds delicious i will have to try it out with my ghosts when they are ripe :hot_pepper: Thx for the recipe

1 Like

if you want to ADD heat to any pepper variety. Which with your setup you can easily do. let the plants wilt. then water. Wilt then water. that stresses the plant and causes more oil to be created to protect the seeds. I used to have a hab plant in my office. I would pollinate with a paint brush. and do about 5 wilt cycles or so. that way I could use ONE pepper for about a gallon of chil. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When I brewed it, It was basically wine with Jalapeno flavoring that just warmed the stomach, As it aged there was no noticeable heat but very strong flavor. At the bottom of every brew (and this took a couple of months)you get all the dead critters that may take up 15-20% of the total. Usually referred to as the “angels share” this is often thrown out but I froze it in a plastic jug and still in the freezer had it upside down over another container,. Under these conditions any particle becomes the seed of ice crystals of pure water that push aside other liquids that do not freeze easily so eventually all the particles are locked up in the ice crystals and the ambrosia drips away into the next container,

This we called Dragon Spit and was very highly valued as there was very little of it, but both the alcohol and flavors (and heat) were very concentrated.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: stressing plants works out great i do the same thing here when my plants are fruiting i only water them when the leaves start to droop but i keep that going till the fruit is ripe lol. makes for some scorchers. I use an electric tooth brush to pollinate the kind that just hums or vibrates quick you can turn it on and just touch it to the stem of the flowers and all the pollen bursts off in a cloud. i lack the nibble fingers to do it with a brush, usually just end up breaking parts of the flowers.

1 Like

thats neat its like an ice distillation. Did you use green jalapenos or ripe red ones for the ferment?

I used fresh green ones from the local market. I did not want so much heat as some friend had used them with the seeds and fresh out of the brew took a few minutes before they could breathe again, and they decided it would make a great marinade. A year later they tried it again (and I got a sip) and the burn was about like mine was fresh, and very little made it into the marinade. Now mine was enough for some to be set aside for years and while the flavor was better the burn was not there at all.

1 Like

Send me a DM w/an address and I’ll send you some peppers. Seeds should be viable and you can sample 'em that way, too.

(Same goes for others. As long as you really promise to try to grow some of the seeds, please! I want this pepper spread far and wide in honor of my Dad’s epic garden :slight_smile: ).

3 Likes

But can you laser 'em?!?

1 Like

:grin: Sounds like some sourdough starter I have. One of those “carried on the Sante Fe Trail” ones. You have to promise to use it if you ask for some. (I prefer that one to my King Arthur sourced one but my wife & daughter prefer the KA one.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.