Carabiner Lamp

My first post share after a few years, but I think I designed something different worth sharing that might spark some new ideas for others. I rock climb a lot and thought a carabiner and anchor would make an interesting lamp design, so I worked through several iterations before I settled on this particular look.

I made a custom cutting pattern for the acrylic shade to mimic the knurling and was able to layer the wood from 1/8" pieces and sand down to accomplish the bevels and curves. Of course, the shade spins down and tilts out to change the bulb. I went with a dimmer switch that operates with the bolt in the anchor base.

I’ve experimented with different woods, stains, acrylic, cord options, and standard lamp parts. The limited bed size (and material expense) led to separating parts into segments, but made sure that wood grain direction stayed the same. It’s been an adventure, but I’m happy to mark it completed (well, mostly lol) and move on to something new.

44 Likes

Thank you for sharing. This is awesome

14 Likes

That looks really, really good! Awesome on both the idea and execution of the shade.

14 Likes

It is certainly worth sharing @acover!
You dreamt your creation and brought it to fruition just as you conceived it, using your skills and your :glowforge: Congratulations!
Overall a one of a kind conversation piece.
I particularly like the screen design you acomplished.
The carabiner seems to magically float above the anchor.

PD: Is there a secret compartment below the front tray?

13 Likes

Arresting.

10 Likes

The acrylic design is spectacular! Amazing work!

9 Likes

Need to gift it to a guy named Cliff.

10 Likes

That is an amazing piece! I am wondering how you managed to get such a nice acrylic cylinder. I know that proper heating will allow it to bend but even then getting that level is hard if the acrylic is not very evenly heated and cooled. How did you manage to heat it evenly like that?

8 Likes

Thanks for the write up and photos. The living hinge lamp shade is great, and the whole lamp is quite unique. I hope you will continue to share your inspirations with us.

10 Likes

This is so cool

8 Likes

That’s incredible. I had a friend who was a rock climber when I was in grad school She was pretty serious and super tiny. Like under 5 ft and under 90 lbs. She had a picture in her office of her, pretty high, climbing under a horizontal ledge. Every time I saw that, I remembered that I just tripped over the curb on the way to the office.

10 Likes

First off, welcome to the forum! What a spectacular way to show your talent! I love your design of the shade, very pretty. Please be sure to share more of what you make. You’ll find the best GF group ever in here.

9 Likes

That is so unique…awesome!

9 Likes

I can’t believe how you got the acrylic to look the way you did and was surprised that the wooden pieces were stacked woodland not a solid piece. Very nice work and a unique idea.

10 Likes

Very nicely executed!

8 Likes

This is really beautiful…both in finished form and in concept and iteration. When I looked at the first photo, it almost looked like it had been made out of bronze. Nice work! Oh…and welcome to the community.

10 Likes

It is actually 2 layered 1/16" acrylic - usually for engraving signs and nametags. I created two clear ends with small teeth to wrap the acrylic and hold it in place. Then just some glue at the seam. No heating involved, but I do have another lamp idea that will require heating and shaping.

9 Likes

Haha yep, you caught it! Most people aren’t aware of living hinges so it blows their minds when I bend it up to show them the secret compartment - sized for cash, jewelry, credit card, etc.

10 Likes

I love that you used a power cord that looks like rope. Nice touch!

9 Likes

spectacular in so many ways.

8 Likes