Cardboard Bee

The honeycomb is 5 layers and the bee is 2 layers. I had tested it on cardboard before cutting out of wood and wound up loving the cardboard. I cut a larger one and glued it up and plan on hanging it. The last photo is the larger one. I think it is around 16 inches long if I remember correctly. I want to play with more cardboard now.

92 Likes

This is really lovely! There are so many ways to use different colors and materials with this.

6 Likes

I love how much depth appears in the honeycomb. I’d be proud to have that on my wall.

4 Likes

Great depth! Planning on painting it?

4 Likes

I love it! Looks great in cardboard and would translate well into other materials too.

3 Likes

Definitely worth keeping!

3 Likes

Thanks all! I am not planning on painting it as I have glued it already and actually like the “natural” look of the cardboard. I do plan on trying it in either wood stained or colored acrylic at some point.

4 Likes

That looks great! My husband has some bees so i may need to try something like that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Such a cool piece! The texture and color, I really like how the use of such a common disposable material works so well in art!
I love bees, those little ladies work themselves to death. Our destinies are inexorably intertwined. I would be proud to display that!

5 Likes

This looks lovely in carboard. So simple and clean.

3 Likes

Looks fantastic in cardboard!

3 Likes

Cardboard can be so much fun, and very inexpensive if anything ever goes wrong! I love prototyping with cardboard!

2 Likes

I think cardboard is highly under used, and that it looks quite nice. Your project is a prime example of that. Well done!

2 Likes

You might like this video, of a beekeeper transporting a colony. How does he not get tickled?

3 Likes

What a nice 3D effect!

1 Like

Haha! There’s a man that knows them well. That guy was as safe walking down the street as he would be with an open carry! They really are docile sweethearts - unless they detect a threat. I would like to see how he got to the queen without interference!

2 Likes

MOAR cardboard.

1 Like

Wonderful depth. Cardboard looks like your new best friend.

1 Like

This is so cool. I keep bees. I’d love to make a design like this to add to the sides of the brood boxes. Thank you so much for sharing.

4 Likes

Very nice format and a great piece!

2 Likes