Cardboard Helix Lamp

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my latest project on the Glowforge that has been on my list of things to make for over a year. I finally got around to making a cardboard lamp using over 200 pieces of laser cut stacked cardboard pieces. I’m sure the one in the Glowforge promo video had a lot more than 200 pieces, but we’ll save a project of that scale for another day.

This cardboard lamp design was inspired by an architecture project designed by Zaha Hadid Architects in China. It’s a round and tall building with the world’s tallest atrium in it, which you could see going from the bottom of the building all the way to the top. I was also inspired by a double helix and decided to cut out 2 voids that wrap from the bottom to the top of the cardboard lamp.

If you’re interested in the process of how I designed and made this cardboard lamp, feel free to check out my latest video on my new YouTube channel! Let me know what you think :slight_smile:.

-Tim

48 Likes

Ohhhh, I love cardboard! Very nice!

3 Likes

Wow. This is great.

3 Likes

This is without question, stunning. I love lighting of any kind…but beautfiully shaped and simple pieces are just the best.

4 Likes

Nicely done.

Cardboard is probably one of the best materials for pendant lights. Out of everything I’ve made, the one that garners the most praise is a simple cardboard pendant.

3 Likes

Wow, super cool!

Is it as heavy as it looks?

2 Likes

It’s surprisingly very light for the size of it. The fully assembled lamp probably weighs less than 2 lbs.

1 Like