Cardboard settings, new Catalog design pages & updates to the UI: 6/23/21 Latest Improvements

I’m pretty sure I remember Dan saying that the AI plug-in was abandoned because of the upkeep required in keeping up with changes made on the Adobe end.

Actually. I’m going to make @evansd2 proud and bust out the search!!

I don’t know what the full scope of it was supposed to be. If it was basically like using a print driver (set all of your settings right there in the print dialog), or if it was just a means of getting the file to the dashboard with less work. I’m guessing the latter.

Personally, I still think some kind of hot folder would be the ultimate cross-program solution.

Btw, @karaelena , not afraid to admit that I googled Marco lens… until right when I hit enter and I had a :man_facepalming: moment realizing that it was the macro lens.

2 Likes

Basically a method to directly control from AI.

The advantage being better file control. The better method to hierarchy store iterations of files with changes I.e same over all vector but with changes like a serial number or a QR code. Vs 32 different files with a tiny image preview of that it is. The ability to tag specific layers/vectors to be cut or engraved directly within AI. Vs. setting everything to a color export as a svg then manually assign it in the UI… for each file- over and over again.

The current UI is a dumpster fire with everything being in one big ass flat folder.

There was a YouTube video of this being demoed with Dan, Bailey and someone from bong bong I believe. But I can’t find it any more.

3 Likes

I definitely agree with that.

This just simply isn’t true. If you look at the improvements over the past few months, they are overwhelmingly available to everyone. And that’s why I reacted the way I did. Obviously you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want, including being upset about early access to cardboard presets if that’s your thing. And, yeah, there are features that have not yet come to fruition. A lot of people still have some hard feelings there. Maybe the additional development budget created by Premium subscriptions will nudge a couple of those into reality - that is actually part of why I chose to subscribe in the first place.

4 Likes

Amen on those improved visual! For awhile there I was just having trouble seeing all the lines. This update helps tons!

6 Likes

Settings in premium… [quote=“jbmanning5, post:17, topic:93576”]
a really cheap trick to try and drive people into premium
[/quote]

A failing 'trick" because there is no way that should drive anyone to premium.

1 Like

There are a ton of people that have zero clue how to test or modify settings.

5 Likes

Question on the update to the nudge with arrows:
It is now set to .1" - is there a way to nudge smaller increments? With the old UI I was able to move very small increments to dial in my design.

You can make tiny adjustments to the X and Y position using the placement palette in the little Ruler icon. (Be sure to watch which reference point you are shifting…it defaults to center, but you can also choose to shift the design relative to the upper left or lower right corner by picking the correct positioning dot in the little grid of dots. )

(Man, that was a terrible explanation…here’s a picture.) :laughing:

6 Likes

I use that as well, but it was nice to just “eyeball” it with a fine nudge and the arrow keys!

It used to nudge smaller increments the further “zoomed in” you were. Not sure if it still does that now that they have created the absolute positioning palette, but you can test it and see.

2 Likes

According to Glowforge Announcement, the nudge distances are now .1" and .25" and so I doubt it will be changed by the zoom level.

1 Like

Actually it does change with zoom - at 300% it nudges .050", at 450% .025"
so that will work…

4 Likes

Great! This means there is a way to control the nudge in addition to the coordinates.

1 Like

That is so very true. And sad. And maddening. And easy to fix.

That’s correct - paper and cardboard settings will come to all users after they graduate from Early Access.

Did we really use those mealy weasel words? If so, I apologize! We flat-out canceled those feature plans and offered refunds to anyone who was counting on them. I had drinks with our software architect last night, in fact, and we were talking about what a mess the Adobe Illustrator plugin turned out to be. (He had it working, briefly, until Adobe broke everything with an API update, and it was clear it would not be the last time they would do so… which is when we gave up).

10 Likes

@dan: Thanks for the clarification. Personally I’m happy to let others test beta features before I have to—which is why I’m very slow to update software/firmware. I like the bugs I know better than the bugs I don’t!

As for long delayed “promised features”, from what I have seen, Glowforge continues to be very upfront and reasonable with its customers—despite the complaints here. I used to say about innovation: “Pioneers are the ones with the arrow wounds”. An honest assessment of colonial history tells me that maybe those wounds were well deserved. Time to find a different analogy? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Can’t speak for Dan, but “I” like it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

I think you are not considering the (seemingly huge) percentage of users who are willing to pay for some very basic things because they aren’t capable of doing them on their own. (Just go offer a file of basic shapes and see how many people will pay you for them.) A lot of folks need plug and play and just have no real concept of how the laser works, what the setting do or how to control things, and they’d pay for the luxury of not having to learn them.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.