Cargo Crate

While it’s not ALL made with my Glowforge, I DID use the Glowforge to create an alien hazard stencil and a lot of the greeblies, so I think it counts.

While I’m waiting for the Droid stuff to get here, I’ve been doing more work on the corner of the room where he’s going to “live”.

Remember this:

The plastic pet food bin I’d found for that to sit on was CLOSE, but just didn’t seem “Star Wars” enough…

Enter Glowforge. First up, A warning logo from one of the water tanks at Galaxy’s Edge:

(Glowforge is MADE for stencils!)

Tape, paint, water, paint, paper towel, paint, a toothbrush, more paint, more water… and let’s just skip to the good part:

The black greeblies are Glowforge-cut matte black acrylic with some rub-n-buff along the edges (it just takes a touch and black acrylic reads as painted metal!)

Tomorrow I’ll add some greeblies to the lid, use my Glowforge to cut some buttons to fit into the openings on the top, and then I just have to decide if I’m going to cut a slit into the top and put the LED puck on the inside, or just leave it sitting up on top.

37 Likes

Killer job on the distressing. The shape of the container lends itself to that starwars look.

5 Likes

Love it!

No idea if it would work with your plans, but it might be cool if you cut these out and let the glow shine through:

7 Likes

GMTA… I had thought about doing that, but those triangles are complex curves - and the lid is THICK.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

5 Likes

In case there is anyone else out here like me…

Learn something new every day.

13 Likes

Nice job! Looks authentic!!

3 Likes

And for the record, Glowforge is GREAT for making greeblies!

Yes. That’s a hidden Mickey. The shapes of both the small silver greebie and the black greeblie are also nods to Rd-D2’s legs.

In that last one, the text on the holochromatic acrylic square to the right says “Fees Paid”. The tentacle reader is engraved onto mirrored acrylic.

9 Likes

No (visible) Glowforge parts, but the “top” (front?") is finished now:

Now all I need to do is print up some “Destination: Aldrerran. Do not attempt delivery! Hold for pickup!” labels to stick on the sides. That’ll explain how it got so dirty!

9 Likes

Oh, wow. We’ll done! Bonus points for the hidden Mickey!

5 Likes

Love the hidden Mickey!

@tjones Thank you for sharing the “Adding Greeblies” definition. Indeed, we do learn something new every day.

5 Likes

Is that what’s called “slipping a Mickey?” :grin:

3 Likes

In case you missed all the other threads, the crate is now part of a whole corner:

1 Like