Cartocuts: Topographic Maps for Makers

Hi there, I just got my first item engraved and I am very happy with the result. My wife is invited to a wedding to Sweden next week. Bride and groom met in Krakow and had their first shared home there whilst studying. While I definately prefer altitude lines visually, this engrave is much more personal :slight_smile: I used a text lable to show where they lived during their time in Krakow.

14 Likes

@ToGo Looks amazing !! Thanks for sharing the story behind the location too, I hope they love the gift :gift:

3 Likes

Beautifully done! Did you leave masking in the river, or do something else to make it look lighter - because I love that effect :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Well done! That is quite the gift; they’ll be thrilled.

3 Likes

At fist I was a bit annoyed that the background was not white but had a slight grey hue (in the bmp file).But the result was just what you observed: larger streets stand out very crisp: those are white. No masking tape, I just used the settings suggested in the thread here :blush:

3 Likes

I did another engrave for a friends birthday. Its where we live here in Norway and I like the result. Dark lines had a burned edge but because the engrave is deep , using some sandpaper worked well. Oiling the wood gave it a great finish! Il

11 Likes

Lovely engrave and now I am hungry.

1 Like

Looks great @ToGo - the wood grain works so beautifully alongside the topography - really enjoying seeing what you are doing with these - I need to up my product photos game :slight_smile: I love the last lifestyle shot - looks delicious.

1 Like

My eyes read this as a live edge piece of work and I was amazed you found one that lined up so perfectly :stuck_out_tongue: The gradient for water works really well!

6 Likes

I did that at first, too!

Wow, so how long did this engrave take?
I’m imagining that it took a long time if the background was not blank!

4,5 Hours.I never did such a long engrave before but it was less smoky/messy than expected and at 26x40 cm rather large. Also, as I did not use masking tape there was no after-work except for drilling the hole.

2 Likes

Nope, nothing that fancy. Just an engrave on a piece of aldertree😉

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.