Cast Concrete

Rotocast by hand in quicksetting concrete using molds entirely cut on a Glowforge :slight_smile:

I won’t go into a write up as the process was created and taught by another very talented designer, you can get an inkling of how it works from his public videos and posts. The molds are flexible, reusable and can produce an entirely unique form each time.

44 Likes

Quite interesting.

8 Likes

Looks like it would be too heavy to lift too…but I’ve always loved the concrete planters as garden accents. Great job! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

So very cool!

3 Likes

I love geometrics of the one made of triangles! So pretty! And I bet it is different from every angle! That one should be on something that rotates it slowly. :wink:

5 Likes

One thing I learned from the foam concrete folk was that they added aluminum powder to the mix and that reacted with the chemicals making tiny bubbles, that would increase the volume of the concrete, and be lighter. they then increased the setting hardness by steam heating keeping the bubbles where they grew. the result was very strong in total, but you could cut and sand it with a saw. and with a sealed surface freezing water would not hurt it and it insulated enough that you could make pottery ovens from it, without cracking or spalling, or losing energy as most other stuff does.

13 Likes

Amazing! I hadn’t even thought about molds! Obviously if it could handle concrete I imagine plenty of other mediums could be used too… Like I needed more inspiration/projects :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I didn’t have a banana handy - they’re small vases so hollow and only a few pounds each. :laughing:

4 Likes

Phil Cuttance, the designer who developed this process, primarily uses Jesmonite - a gypsum and water based resin. I’ve seen other people use translucent casting resins. Since the molds are polypropylene they’re pretty non-stick to most casting materials - lots of room to play!

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Looks amazing!

1 Like

Wonderful project! I love seeing these out of the box ideas.

What glowforge settings did you use with the o.5mm polypropylene? Thanks!

Score: 500/80. Cut: 230/80. Please post if you make one, too!

2 Likes

Thank you, will do!

1 Like