Castle on tile

Sorry, I was asking beerfaced.
That castle, is it a real structure? It looks a lot like a fantasy! Do you plan to frame or display it?

1 Like

The castle is Hogwarts.
The Popeye is a special effects creation by Rick Baker that I think people refer to as a Real Life Popeye if you want to look it up.

That image on that tile is spectacular.

5 Likes

Iā€™d say you would be thinking about this for an avatar. Arg!

1 Like

5 Likes

Iā€™m just trying to understand this a little more. Does the paint fuse to the tile and get darkened? It doesnā€™t actually chip the surface of the tile?

If not, thatā€™s awesome. That means I donā€™t need to find tile with a dark core if I donā€™t want to ink it after, and donā€™t need to reseal the surface if it will get used as anything other than decoration.

1 Like

The tile still feels the same after as it did before. I think something in the paint is fused to the tile. You really have to try it. The results are mind blowing if you can get a good graphic.
Hereā€™s a couple I did for a friend:

2 Likes

I plan on displaying it for my wife. Havenā€™t figured out if it will be framed or not yet. I tried the other method with the paint and it turned out terribly. Itā€™s hard to see and itā€™s super light.

1 Like

If this is the pic using white paint have you cleaned it with paint thinner yet? If so maybe you needed more power to get it darker?

I used full power and this is after it was cleaned. I am by no means giving up. I have a different pic I will try soon. Are there any other tips you can think of?

I had one which came out quite light similar to that pic you posted. I think it was because I had painted the white on about a month before I lasered it. When it came time to wipe the paint off with paint thinner nothing came off on the rag and the results were not acceptable.
I canā€™t recall now the settings I used either so next time may be a hit or a miss. Iā€™m thinking high power and fairly slow speed on freshly dried paint. Also from what Iā€™ve read it must be flat white spray paint. I used Rustoleum from Home Depot.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am absolutely going to try this!

1 Like

Excellent. Post pics!

Will do.
Have you tried colors other than white? Does that cause issues? Not sure if I have flat white, but I might have other colors.

Actually I did try red I think and no it didnā€™t work at all. Now, Iā€™m not saying no other colour will work, but I havenā€™t tried any others myself. It wonā€™t hurt the machine if you feel like running some tests on what you have around. There may be something in the flat white that other paints donā€™t have. Someone mentioned on here it may be the titanium in the white pigment but I have no idea. I keep hoping someone with a chemistry background will look into this and let us all know.

2 Likes

That was my thought as well. Something about the white pigment. I have a BUNCH of little 1"x1" tiles, Iā€™ll play with those and see what works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah great idea.

When you do this with the paint, are you using vary power or the convert to dots? Iā€™m just imagining that you have to really make sure your whites are white with vary power so it doesnā€™t laser everything.

I left it on convert to dots.

I actually just looked back and the power was quite low. Iā€™ll post over in beyond the manual if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

I have resisted the temptation to squeeze you for the settings. :grimacing: