Castle on tile

Made this playing around with the Glowforge. Ceramic tile 12x12 off white. I engraved at full power then colored the whole tile with black alcohol ink markers. After a good wash, this was the result.

68 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
This is a very nice engrave. I look forward to seeing your other projects.

4 Likes

Looks great

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate that!

Thanks! I look forward to learning more about the Glowforge!

1 Like

I really love this. So I guess I’m going to have to try tile after the holidays. Thanks for showing us.

5 Likes

Have you tried the Norton white tile method yet? This picture might be a good candidate for that.
BTW how long did a 12 x 12 tile take anyway?

4 Likes

It took just over 1 hour. I don’t know what the Norton method is

1 Like

White porcelain tile sprayed with flat white paint from your local hardware store. After lasering it is scrubbed off with paint thinner and voila. The image is scratch free.
Coaster Rosco

12 Likes

Is that the tile, or the image you engraved?
I would like to understand what the paint is for… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Very nice piece of art!

I don’t know how it works but that is what the image looks like after the process. That was a glossy white tile from Home Depot that I spray painted 2 coats of flat white on. Then laser and clean. You can’t scratch the dark areas even with a metal scraper.
Here is another one I did
Coaster old sailor
I rest my porcelain coffee cup on that every day.

32 Likes

Thanks! those results are killer!

5 Likes

Yeah I like that pic the best.

3 Likes

Fantastic—-looks like a Romanian Castle.

2 Likes

I will absolutely try that technique! It looks amazing!!

3 Likes

Do you have a picture of the tile it’s engraved on? I’m gonna have to explore this technique.

2 Likes

Interesting technique! Are you converting to dots or varying power?

1 Like

Are you guys asking me or @beerfaced?

Sorry no. I just used up the last blank tile I had a few days ago. I bought them at Home Depot however. They come in units of 9 I think. They are the perfect size for coasters.

2 Likes