Actually it would be a bit forward thinking of them to approach it from that way. I’m doing that with my applications now - decomposed all the transactions and applied an 80/20 simplification rule along with a design consistency approach. Wherever you use our applications on whatever devices it’s going to be the exact same user experience within the capabilities of the device. (And device used will control what you get presented to do and you won’t have menus taking you places that don’t translate well to the device you’re using.)
That means hamburger (stacked) menu on the left, olive (3 stacked dots) on the right, big buttons, swipe friendly, gear icons for settings, etc. 90% of the applications you use now are mobile - except the ones (generally) you’re required to use a desktop for at work. Special cases (like CAD/CAM, etc) still require a large device but even those the user experience could be helped by more simplification. The devices/app shouldn’t make you choose between things it can decide for you, shouldn’t make you see or skip fields that aren’t relevant to you at that point in time, shouldn’t make you navigate through something every single time you touch it because once in a hundred times you’ll need it.
Our 80/20 design approach is to make sure you can do 80% of whatever it is you’re trying to do on your touchdown page. Then for the other 20% you go to another more detailed screen where you’re going to do 80% of whatever is left and then the 20% of that is going to have you go down another level. The key is simplifying the transactions all the way through the chain so you’re not bogging things down with stuff just to fill in a screen.
Take a look at your banking app on your phone and try to check balances or make a transfer. Then go to the desktop full-web version and look at what you’re presented to do the exact same stuff. The desktop guy put a lot of dreck up there simply because he had room. Working in a tablet or phone form factor enforces a discipline of simplicity. Not too many people have asked that something be made more complicated - systems designers are starting to figure that out.
Whether the GFUI is a well-matured and good implementation of that principle is a different story but I’m encourage they’re at least thinking about it.