Catan edges not lining up. Has this happened to anyone else?

The large hexagon in the new file that you exported from the GFUI aligns perfectly with a generated hexagon in Inkscape.

(Generated hexagon is the red hairline. Grey hex is from your file.)

It’s easy to bump and skew things unintentionally. If the change is small, it is easy to miss that it happened.

2 Likes

thank you SO much for testing this! I am going to use the new hexagon and try again… I also have glowforge helping with one other test.

I will keep you posted

3 Likes

Weird how it doesn’t line up with the hexagon I made in Inkscape.

I appreciate all the help from the GF Community. This is the strangest thing happening I think. I am waiting to hear back from support once again. In the meantime, I cut the 10" square that they sent over and it’s only off about 1mm. It’s pretty darn close to square.

I went back and tried to print the Glowforge Snowglobe Family ornament and the top layer I turned sideways the first pass … it cut completely distorted! (I was SO careful to only move the handle to turn the object and didn’t resize anything. Then I reset everything and cut that top layer without moving it. It seems to match up almost perfectly.

The next thing was to try to just create a hexagon in Glowforge, not move anything, copy paste and print. It looks like one side doesn’t line up on one piece. Then when I would them together even the piece I didn’t turn was wonky. I imported a quick svg with hexagons I made in Illustrator… (realized after the fast that I had two lines to cut… but, that mistake showed me something else)… that second cut didn’t line up over the first on one of the pieces.

I keep wondering second guessing myself and double checking every single thing I am doing… Is there a way to measure the angle within the glowforge app right before clicking the print button? I don’t think so.

Hexagons made in GF and AI

2 Likes

This is what I did:

• Opened the “Pasted Design-2.svg” in Inkscape.
  • Ungrouped everything to get to the big, plain hexagon
  • Made note of the dimensions of the big, plain hexagon (1.238 inches wide)
  • Switched to the polygon/star tool and, set it for a 6-sided polygon
  • Held down the ctrl key and drew a constrained hexagon in the same orientation
  • Locked the proportions of the new hexagon and, entered the dimensions noted for the big, plain hexagon
  • Set the desired line weights and colors for the two hexagons
  • Enabled snapping and, snapped the top node of my new hexagon to the big, plain hexagon
2 Likes

All of the hexagons in your new GFUI export appear to be proper hexagons (using the process described above).

So, we are back to there being an issue with your machine.

2 Likes

That’s what I am thinking also…
Thank you!
I will update with anything I hear back from GF…

1 Like

… all because my son wants to make the catan board over winter break. (I haven’t used my machine much recently and when I did something seemed off, just didn’t want to take the time to figure it out)… now it’s a mission to try to cut pieces for him before mid-January. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Those off curves make me wonder if rather than a squaring issue you’ve got slipping teeth. When you cleaned them, did you take a good look and make sure none were missing/cracked? Especially if it’s going quickly, there’s a lot of pressure on those teeth!

4 Likes

Well… I think I am at a loss. My machine is out of warranty even though it doesn’t have a lot of use on it. Support hasn’t been able to help. The new carriage plate wasn’t the issue. I went through a couple of tests after squaring the arm once again. Support says that I can send the pro back in and pay the $1,500 for a refurbished machine. I just don’t see the point in doing that.

If anyone has any other ideas I would be open! I’ll check the belts again and see if there is anything at all broken. I have a brand new belt with the carriage plate. I’ll inspect the side belts thoroughly.

It does seem like the laser head catches a bit when sliding back and forth…I have to go very gently to feel it, but it’s there. If I loosen the belt a lot I don’t feel it and it goes smoothly. But, when it is tightened it is definitely there.

I’m open for any additional thoughts, otherwise I think I have a dud machine now. :cry:

These were from the test that support had me do: (It definitely seems like the circles are giving me more issues)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.