Catch! Teeniepings

My two middle kids (8 and 3) are currently obsessed with a Korean cartoon they found on Netflix called “Catch! Teeniepings”. It’s kind of like a cross between Pokémon and Sailor Moon, with these little creatures called Teeniepings that the main character runs around collecting. Anyway. They love running round our house catching Teeniepings of their own, so for Christmas I thought I’d give them some figurines to help their game. Of course, the only place you can get these figurines is from Korea, and they retail on eBay for something like $20 for each 3” high figure.

What’s a girl to do? Make some on the Glowforge, of course!

I made the 5 main characters out of MDF using artwork from the show, double-sided, then painted them with acrylic markers, and sealed them with glossy sealant. I was so happy with how they turned out, and the kids LOVED them…and of course, 3/5 were broken by the end of Christmas Day. And I didn’t take photos of the set :woman_facepalming:t3: So I’m remaking them using two layers of MDF, but it’s a slow process. Until then, I wanted to share photos of the two that have survived so far! They’re still being played with on a daily basis, which is the mark of a well-loved Christmas present, so I’m happy regardless :grin:

One of the broken ones:

35 Likes

Terrific color work. I love the eyes. Kids are great inspiration.

8 Likes

Those turned out great! Wonderful paint job!

6 Likes

So cute - and the paintwork is so precise! Definitely a hit if they’re on the daily play rotation!

6 Likes

Fantastic! Keep the game going!

4 Likes

You win the Good Mom award for sure!

4 Likes

Pretty cool! And it only cost you several thousand dollars to make them! :joy: just kidding! These are really well made and painted.

5 Likes

wow those are amazing! and the paint job is superb! If you don’t mind me asking, what brand of acrylic markers did you use? I’m looking into getting some to try my hand at painting mdf. Thanks in advance! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Great gift idea and I agree that your coloring is impressive! You get extra points for remaking them, though…

4 Likes

I suspect that Baltic Birch would make a lot more durable toys. I have been far less than impressed by anything with MDF in it.

They are amazing finishing, however.

2 Likes

Those are so cute! Great coloring. It looks like the broken pieces are just broken off the stand? Maybe you could just make a thicker stand with a gap that the peg on the figure could just be set into instead of the figure and base being one piece? I know it would mean more pieces that might be lost, but maybe keeping the bases painted would help and you wouldn’t have to redo the figures. And chances are, the kids are still playing with the broken ones too!

2 Likes

Excellent paint work! Great job … They are adorable characters.

3 Likes

:rofl: Thank you! If I factor in the time, I think it would have been cheaper to buy the damn things.

The brand is Pintar - I just found them on Amazon :slight_smile: I don’t know how they compare to others, and I needed several coats to get an even, bright coverage, but they did ok!

1 Like

Probably, but I didn’t feel like sanding actual wood. They all broke pretty evenly along score lines, so I think a double layer will help.
Also, one got shut in a drawer that it was too tall for, so the head was removed :woman_facepalming:t2:

They are actually in two pieces :slight_smile: the figures just sit in a slot cut into the stand. They all broke along score lines, so I think a double thickness will make them durable enough!

1 Like