Caution: Dirty Pictures....or...How I Cleaned the Exhaust Fan šŸ¤”

While looking into my own unit, Iā€™ve noticed there is no heat sink! Is this something thatā€™s changed in later models, or is my unit not quite right?

The heatsink is only in the Pro version.

2 Likes

Love the pass through. and extra power and cooling but I do wish they had put the heatsink nearer the intake than the exhaust.

1 Like

So I bought the pro and have used it for about a month. I only used it with the fan on for one cut, though, as I also invested in the $1000 filter. But after finding out the cost of replacement filters for that thing, I invested the same amount in a 6" inline fan and will be venting it out the window. Since I only have really ever run this thing with the ā€œAir Filter Attachedā€ mode, how often do I need to do this. Because, seriously, where I have it, this might be easier than taking it outside. But if I am not really ā€œusingā€ that fan, does it matter?

Yes. The fan is still in the airflow, and the airborne debris will accumulate on it.

1 Like

I used their recommended way with the idea that I could suck the fumes out as moving it outside is not possible. There were still a lot of fumes but worse the stuff dissolved all the gunk and then evaporated leaving a sheet of plastic around the bottom of the fan, encasing it like ice on a pond. destroying the fan trying to remove that and had to send it back to the Mothership.

That made my day! I also have a Basic and was dreading working around everything as I donā€™t have the smallest of hands.

Whatā€™s in the vinegar solution? Water?

Yep. Half vinegar, half water. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks

Thank you Jules for taking time to post this in a very Digestible way, no matter the skill level. I am guilty of jumping right in to the heavier abilities and now I am going back and going ā€œOh yeah! I need to keep up with my required maintenance!ā€ It is easy to let that become a runaway train and possibly allow issues (some serious!) to ariseā€¦And yes it IS on my list to go watch the highly recommended tutorials (which i have started too). again my bad! Anywhoā€¦Thanks for the dedication for us hard headed newbies!

3 Likes

I detest that word ā€œBEDBUGSā€!..We had a visitor bring them twice plus I had to deal with it at workā€¦Work spent thousandsā€¦I found a cure for pennies per applicationā€¦DIATOMACEOUS EARTHā€¦amazing stuffā€¦we bought the food grade the 2nd time aroundā€¦but anywho I digressā€¦lol

1 Like

Caution: Dirty Pictures....or...How I Cleaned the Exhaust Fan šŸ¤”. Hello Jules , We got our glowforge a little over a year ago. It wasnā€™t too long after we had it I was wondering about how often the fan might need to be cleaned. I saw your write up &
when the fan started to look dirty , I used your method to clean it, and have done so on a regular
basis. I came across your write up again tonight and I just wanted to thank you for sharing it.
after cleaning it a few times it does go quicker . and the build up never gets too bad with regular
maintenance. Thanks again Jimmy Carter

6 Likes

Great! Iā€™m glad it helped! (Iā€™m overdue to clean mine, come to think of itā€¦it goes so much faster if you donā€™t let it build up too much.) :grinning:

5 Likes

Just found this post for the first time (thanks to insomnia & endless scrolling that I donā€™t have time to do during the day :crazy_face:).

Amazing write up! Thanks so much for taking the time (way back then). I will definitely be referring to this later.

5 Likes

Thank you! (Iā€™m still doing it too!) :grinning:

4 Likes