Cedar Mp3 Sound Recorder Box

So this is a custom Cedar box with a Speaker and an electronic chip you can drop MP3 files and have them play audio with a push button. The chip came with a crappy 1.5" speaker that I replaced with a 3" Adafruit speaker that has better sound quality. The design was originally made for slightly thinner material, but I changed to cedar at the last minute, so the only part I don’t like is tabs don’t fit flush. I may sand all the edges rounded. I also added a different momentary push button and a charging port.

I made this for a friend who does therapy for a mutual acquaintance, who has dementia, and may not be around that much longer. He speaks French, and is helping my friend learn French because she is travelling to Paris next year. I called him and got him to record a few things in French for her, and put them on this sound box. Now she can press the button and always hear his voice.

Links to Stuff:

45 Likes

I love this for a multitude of reasons!!

13 Likes

Very nice and a lovely sentiment.

I made a similar thing for my daughter, built it into a model of an old Charger which is the look-a-like to her 2014 Challenger, in redneck orange (the world doesn’t know why Dodge did that). You could guess what it plays. I made it so you only press down on it to activate the button.

11 Likes

We wanna see the Challenger. :oncoming_automobile:

11 Likes

Yeah this is great. The sanding trick should solve your corner issues.

You are probably all set on sanding technique and equipment [1] but if not… I’d probably start mechanically like with a Dremel or even better a belt sander to rough it out, then use a nice sanding block to get the final shape and surface dialed in.

If you never saw this post, my favorite type of sandpaper and block are these guys:

1. after all you’re @pubultrastar! The pubultrastar. ↩︎

13 Likes

Sorry… I deleted my posts, they don’t belong here. Just gushing with pride at the moment because she is Africa and involved in a global joint-forces exercise. Me and my ex are just overwhelmed by what she is doing, way above and beyond her rank and responsibilities.

14 Likes

this is really cool. Awesome job

7 Likes

Of all the wonderful things you’ve made and shared over time this has to be one of the most thoughtful projects.

Thanks for the shipping list!

9 Likes

This is so thoughtful and of course beautifully executed. Thanks for showing us.

8 Likes

This is so awesome.

8 Likes

This is so beautiful in it’s physical form and it’s meaning.

6 Likes

This is awesome. I have cheaper versions of a voice recorder from radio shack that I have played with and repurposed over the years, but this is over the top and so cool.

7 Likes

What a thoughtful and beautiful gesture to go with a beautiful memento. Congratulations @pubultrastar !

6 Likes

Really nice! Really thoughtful!

6 Likes

Beautiful! I love the entire project, and love that it’s wrapped in such beautifully engraved cedar.

5 Likes

Such a thoughtful and beautiful gift!

2 Likes