Cedar Pencil Box

My wife’s pandemic hobby has been to renew her passion for drawing. She hadn’t drawn seriously since she was a kid so we had no supplies. Soon she had lots of supplies but nowhere to keep them, so I decided to make her something.

This is intended to be a well-used utility box so I intentionally left it a bit rough. The interior is only lightly sanded and some glue joints are visible. The idea here being to discourage the tendency with well-finished boxes to worry about scuffs and scratches. I did sand the outside well, down to 800 grit, then applied a simple paste wax finish.

The box design was from one of the parametric box calculator web sites. (Sorry, I forget which one.) You plug in length, width, height and some detail of the tab size for the joints. There are a total of 4 open-top boxes here:

• The bottom
  • The liner and divider in the bottom
  • The tray
  • The lid

I also learned enough Inkscape to design the center divider for the top tray with a cut-out handle.

Last year I lined our master bedroom closet in cedar and had some leftover planks. These are 1/4" thick tongue-and-groove strips sold in 15 sq ft packs. The box width and height is just small enough to fit the cut outline into one of those strips.

The look of the box is far better then the small amount of work I put into finishing it deserves. When I make pens or bowls on the lathe the finishing is the bulk of the work and in this case it was the least part of the project but the result is beautiful.

85 Likes

Well done! Happy wife, happy life.

3 Likes

Wow! She must be thrilled. It’s gorgeous!

1 Like

Got a banana?

Nice box, curious about scale.

2 Likes

Well, yes but I find bananas to be a very imprecise metric. Just grabbing a random sample size of one the length varies by 100% ~ 200% or more.

I was about to embark on measuring all of the bananas we have on hand, then taking the average of them as the metric but decided on something a bit more precise. How’s this?

20 Likes

Fine, that’ll do I guess. :wink:

9 Likes

Well geez if you want to gey all scientific and technical.

:wink:

5 Likes

That looks fabulous! I love the cut out on the tray.

2 Likes

Well done! I love Cedar!

2 Likes

ohhhhh this is amazing. I so need to make some boxes like this!
I love it! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Wow. I really like that! Cedar is my favorite wood.

1 Like

Great insert tray and dividers!

1 Like

I can smell this picture :drooling_face: Looks great, any plans on adding a handle eventually, or do you think this will be its final form?

5 Likes

This is it. If the latch isn’t closed, picking up by a handle would dump the contents. Requiring a grip on the box makes this less likely. Also, I saved my favorite plank for the top since it’s the biggest visible surface and any handle I could make or find would only diminish that.

2 Likes

Absolutely fantastic! Love the wood and the way you sanded away the char on the finger joints.

2 Likes

Doesn’t have the same flavor…:grin:

1 Like

Very nice! Cedar looks cool, too!

1 Like

Very well done and beautiful end projuct

1 Like

OMG, that thing is gorgeous! Nice job and great choice of material.

2 Likes

Beautiful

1 Like