Celtic Mechanical Iris Box

Using Owyn’s 1/4” Walnut plywood and 1/8” Proofgrade Walnut, I designed and created this mechanical iris box. The sides use a living hinge design. I’m happy with the finished piece. :smiley:

68 Likes

Oh, fabulous! And so intricate!!!

3 Likes

I love the design!

4 Likes

I like how you leaned into the mechanism, many people (myself included) tried to hide the workings, but you’ve incorporated them into the presentation. Well done.

7 Likes

Stunning design…wow…

2 Likes

That is way cool. My thought is to make it into a cigar cutter. Put some blades in there. I know that just would flaunt all safe reasoning, but that’s what I thought of.

Just so awesome in so many ways.

8 Likes

Please do it!

5 Likes

Amazing design

3 Likes

Great work! Attention to detail shows!

3 Likes

Fixed that for ya…

13 Likes

Amazing piece! It will have to be something special to get stored in there.

3 Likes

Fantastic! I love all the knotwork designs and am fascinated by iris boxes.

7 Likes

Absolutely stunning piece.

3 Likes

I have an insanely practical friend (not sure he ever reasoned out what Art actually is for and just takes other people’s word for it).

I can see him clear as day asking, “What does it do?”

I, for one, will share your joy. When something as complex as this is done it is a great feeling. And when it works as intended, well, that is all bonus pleasure.
Great job.

4 Likes

Now that… that’s cool…

2 Likes

So pretty! Great project!!

3 Likes

Beautiful! Love Celtic designs and living hinges, this is superb! Guessing you would sell many design files if you put it out there.

3 Likes

It’s fairly complex, and the time it would take to create instructions would be longer than the design and build time combined. There are also screws and inlayed nuts, and locktite, and living hinge, etc… Might cause some issues for those who are not as seasoned in these types of projects. Not sure anyone would buy this anyway, but I’ll consider it for the future.

3 Likes

I understand how much time it takes to write up instructions. Kudos for the beautiful work!

2 Likes

Great. This is a design that should make you proud.

3 Likes