I never really liked the center console in my old 94 Ford Ranger, mostly because the cup holders were useless. That being said, I created a new one out of quarter inch clear acrylic. I added more suitable cup holders as well as some auxiliary switches for various add-ons to the truck. Initially I was going to make this out of wood using my traditional woodworking skills and tools. But after a bit of pondering I decided to go with the acrylic and the Glowforge. Once I figured out my measurements I laid it all out in AI.
It’s a fairly simple design but the addition of the switches did complicate it a bit. When I finally decided on the switches I wanted to use, I measured them and created the holes they would seat into. I side lit the switch panel with some strip LEDs to take advantage of their ability to reflect light. The real sucky part is I can’t get the proper glue for acrylic in SoCal so I had to use 2-part epoxy which is messy for this application. When it was finally assembled I had so sand the seams to clean up the glue. After the sanding I painted it all black, except for the switch panel, that I only painted the backside black.
Note: Where you can see my cloth mask, that is a removable box tray.
In addition, I also removed the ash tray from the bottom of the dash and used the Glowforge to make a panel to put in it’s place that would replace the 12v outlet (that was in the ash tray) as well as house a double USB power port, something that wasn’t standard 28 years ago in a truck.
I made a similar panel for my ex BIL’s '69 Thunderbird - the front window switch circuit did not work even with new (and very expensive) replacement switches. So I bought a modern type and made a custom panel that fits in a center storage compartment. It has a cover so the vehicle looks stock.
As I used temporary lever connectors, and expected to solder everything up if it works, so I never took a pic. I built in a resettable circuit breaker and a dual USB outlet as well.