Ceramic Poker Chips?

With all the hullabaloo about tiles recently, I’m curious if anyone has tried engraving blank ceramic poker chips? I plan on buying a hundred or so for cheap to try it out, but knowing if it’s a dead end before I purchase would be helpful, haha!

6 Likes

Oooo…another rabbit hole to pursue. Please post your results. I can think of a dozen uses. Where are you getting them?

Exit: found clay & resin ones in Amazon. I have some on their way so I can play. :smiley:

5 Likes

URL for this “ceramic poker chip” or it never happened. :slight_smile:

Sounds pretty slick, but I had no idea such a thing existed.

Hmm https://www.amazon.com/Brybelly-Diamond-Poker-8-5-gram-Composite/dp/B012TCG8IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=leisure-sports-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1529001221&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A3357525011

Unclear if those are glazed, but I think not.

These guys:
https://www.johnsonplastics.com/matte-white-ceramic-poker-chip
are ceramic/plastic.

Hmm… interesting.

2 Likes

I think there are a couple different kinds of “ceramic” chips. The original ones were full ceramic, shiny surface and customizable edge to edge. They didn’t have the outside ring and stripes you associate with traditional clay chips. But I think there is a variant of the clay chips that are ceramic now in the center section (the full ceramics had issues with wearing of the graphics and stackability).

Easy enough to find customized ones (just did that for a motorcycle rally in fact) but it never occurred to me to get blank ones to laser. :exploding_head: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

@jamesdhatch Would you mind showing what you did? I’m making some “tokens” for a resturant in the area and I’m just using draftboard. I’d like to see what others are producing if possible.

Mine just came in from Amazon today. I’m doing work work though so can’t hit the GF to test out what I might be able to do with these. When I do, I’ll post something though.

4 Likes

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it.

I had looked into this, if you’re going to actually use them, they need to be marked on the edges around the circumference so that you can stack them and know whats in the stack at a glance.

I’ve got a set of chips with plain centers, that could be engraved. I had hoped to find chips where they were all white in the middle but couldn’t…

I was thinking that if you etched them deep enough at the edges, then used some kind of color in the etch area, that you’d be able to see that from the edges. Probably not realistic, though. I’ve had custom sublimated ceramic chips made in the past, but was hoping for some actual dimensionality with this method.