Ceramic Tile Bookends

Hey pals!

It is my husband’s “birthday” so I wanted to make something to mark the occasion. Being in AA means you get a lot of books… so here is my result!

Tile_Bookends.svg is designed for 3mm materials, and should fit the standard cheap 4" white tiles from Home Depot that are so popular here. The file is for one bookend, so you will need to run it twice to make a pair. All the parts are labelled in the objects panel if you check the file out in Inkscape.

Laid out for maximum material conservation, and extra optional copies of objects that you might need. I “ignored” either the lime green square or bright blue square (depending on which side of the pair you are making) because I didn’t want the back of the tile to show. I recommend you only cut one or the other.

Tile_Bookends_Vinyl.svg was designed to use for the Cricut, since I am bad at gluing and wanted to cover the hack job I had to do to get the tabs into the slots on the base. DO NOT cut vinyl on your Glowforge!!! But I am including the file anyways, in case you want to use cardstock or fabric or cork or whatever. I used silver vinyl in a single piece that wrapped from the upright to the bottom, and covered up the corner joints.

I was pushing myself to design something that didn’t have the normal “zigzaggy” look that is so typical of laser cut objects. I cut everything out of birch plywood because that’s what I have access to. I would LOVE to see what other folks use, especially mixed materials!! I can also post more pictures of the assembly process if anyone needs help putting it together.

Right click > save Image as on the previews below or download Tile_Bookends.zip (4.3 KB) for both files.

Tile_Bookends

Tile_Bookends_Vinyl

Happy lasering :sunglasses:

74 Likes

Very nice. Thanks for the share.

9 Likes

What a wonderful design! I’ve been thinking about bookends and your design should fit the bill perfectly. Thanks so much!

6 Likes

Great use of the tiles weight. I used one for the lid of a hinged box, which I think makes it too heavy.

Awesome work!

6 Likes

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

These look great. Thanks for the share!

5 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the share.

5 Likes

thank you love this idea

4 Likes

Huge congrats to your husband!

6 Likes

Congratulations to your husband, and to you for this design. This is a great share. I hope you two just keep on keepin’ on.

7 Likes

Very nice, such a brilliant idea!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Great share thank you.

Keep Creating

2 Likes

These look really good. In the southwest we have a lot of decorative tiles that would look good in these holders.

3 Likes

Love this! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this lovely design, and many congrats to your husband!

2 Likes

This is amazing. I too made a plaque for my husband’s “birthday” (2 years also, in May). Congrats to your husband and many blessing to you both. You are a strong woman. I know what it takes to love and love when you see your husband suffer.

5 Likes

What a lovely gift for him!

Thank you so much for sharing your file. It’s awesome!

1 Like

Can out very nice.

1 Like

Pretty sweet - thanks for the design!

1 Like