CerMark alternative?

Does glycerin evaporate without residue? (Chem not my strong suit)

3 Likes

Not for a long, long, long, long time. You would just wash it off. It’s soluble in water.

2 Likes

It’ll wash of easy like soap and it comes in food grade. - Rich

1 Like

So would it interfere with the lasering process? Bubble? Spatter? The soap dries, so it would be different.

1 Like

We’re talking thin coat. I haven’t tried it, but I would bet it would be better than using detergent that is designed to make loads of suds. Just sayin’…My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :grin: - Rich

5 Likes

Will definitely be following this! I’ve tried the Moly-D spray before with some success but it was time-intensive on the laser. I thought about cutting a mask on the metal part, spraying the Moly-D, removing the mask, and hitting it with a torch to “bake” it on. But, once @smcgathyfay does her tests, we’ll know better!

4 Likes

Just got to the office to have a look at my can of Thermark.
Ingredients include acetone, ethanol, propane (spray can propellant), molybdenum TRIoxide…not DIoxide, crystalline silica, mica, iron oxide, manganese and nickel.

I have some ideas on different mixtures to try that might work.
Any chemists want to collaborate with me? I got an A+ in Chem but that was 30 some years ago…lmao

I will apply with both airbrush and sponge. Hope to find good results :slight_smile:

19 Likes

I don’t think Chemistry has changed much over that small period of time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But one’s working knowledge of it might.

4 Likes

I jokingly said the same thing to my girlfriend, who spends hers days in a research lab working towards a PhD in immunology (published article here: Risk Factors for Autism). She told me I was wrong.

9 Likes

The “Ether” and Earth are no longer considered elements.

6 Likes

Haha…that’s fair.

Of course, I should’ve known better to make an over-generalized comment like that on here. Though some of it seems like just the table “layout” is constantly changing. But it seems like the theory of “electron-pushing”, to understand how reactions occur, and electron orbitals haven’t changed much, if at all.

It’s interesting they add molecules that only last a few seconds after some atoms are smashed in a lab. And, that they now give a range in which an element’s atomic mass can range from!

5 Likes

Exactly!! I’m sure I have forgotten more than I’ve learned in the past 30 years lol

First test.
TM = Traditional TherMark
A = molybdenum dioxide made into a slurry with perfume grade isopropyl alcohol and airbrushed.

Doesn’t look like the MD works as well all by itself.
TherMark has molybdenum TRIoxide as well as lots of other ingredients.

20 Likes

I can certainly see a difference in density, but with the price differential it is still great for marking on metal. Perhaps not for commercial purposes but I would be satisfied for my garage uses.
Thanks for the test!

Also…
http://www.ebay.com/itm/molybdenum-vi-oxide-99-5-100g

13 Likes

did you use dioxide or disulfide (which is what you linked to above as your purchase)?

1 Like

I just failed Chemistry!! The original post was using molybdenum disulfide and yes thats what I was using for the test. I will edit it…thank you!!

6 Likes

Probably because thermark is more like enameling than engraving: http://www.thermark.com/content/view/16/86/

10 Likes

love this. I also searched alternatives and found Dry Moly as one of the b best alternatives. But it is so messy. My project for it is small so using a paint brush is exactly what I need. Love this. going to buy a bag and try it! could you possibly send me the link to yours, specifically? with all this counterfeit stuff going around (and I’ve been duped already) I much rather use your source since you’ve proven it is the real deal. Thanks!

Me too.
But I notice that no one has considered saving the washings, and re-mixing them, if their cutting the cost to the bone !
:upside_down_face: