Chariot Racing Game

I finally scratched an itch and built an all-wood version of my Chariot Race game! This is all made on the Glowforge with the exception of the dice and pegs.

Here are the parts that make up the box:

I haven’t yet mastered kerf adjustments, so this is all kiss-fit. (I didn’t mind the extra space as it made glueing pretty easy.) Curious: what type of adjustment do people typically make on the Glowforge? I also didn’t bother to make the fine adjustments needed to hide some of the edges of the laminate around the sides of the box (although the top does a fair job of hiding the top edges).

Here are the chariot boards. They’re each made of a different pairing of proofgrade woods:

The drawer for the pegs and chariot boards are accessed on one side of the box and the dice are stored on the other:

Box: baltic birch
Laminate: maple
Dice door and caltrops: walnut
Track inlay (corners and starting spaces): cherry
Track oval: basswood
Chariot pegboards: cherry, maple, and poplar

More photos at Laser Cutting a Chariot Race — Matt Leacock Games

All the parts:

Showing the drawer:

63 Likes

Beautifully done! :grinning:

2 Likes

Wow. Great post. Turned out so good. Love the thought that went into all the different compartments too.r

3 Likes

Very nicely done!

2 Likes

Just amazing! Looks like a fun game, and you did such a nice job on it.

2 Likes

I like the little slider-slot for the dice, instead of another drawer!

3 Likes

Born out of necessity. I didn’t want to add the additional height that a drawer would require.

3 Likes

What a fine project! Very nice.
For kerf on medium play I usually start at .008 and test from there.

2 Likes

Next time we are going over to @mleacock’s house and settle this without the horses.

5 Likes

Thanks PrintToLaser. I’ll have to try making some simple boxes adjusting for kerf to see what it’s like to fit them together with friction rather than glue.

1 Like

Fantastic! You should be proud of the turn out!

1 Like

Love your board games. The holes to see the dice is very cool. Glad you got a glowforge to extend your creativity. We volunteered and ran a board game program after school group for several years at the local library. Our age range was 8-12 year old kids and we would teach and run the games. Our kids played too. Your games were amongst the favorites. Thank you for what you do.

3 Likes

just watched th new Ben Hur movie yesterday. Great job. I am sure you will have many hours of play.

1 Like

Wow wow!

1 Like

Thanks! Glad to hear the games were a hit.

1 Like

Wonderful job Matt. Do you take it for the GOF in April ? I will be happy to see it directly and exchange some words how you have done it.
I’m really impressed.

Hi @mleacock! The Chariot Racing Game turned out amazing!

1 Like

Yes, I’ll be bringing it there so you can check it out.

I cut another entire set out of just 2 sheets of baltic birch yesterday (a much simpler design) to bring as well. I was able to put that set together in about an hour – much faster than the 3 days or so this one took!

1 Like

Great news. I’m looking forward to seeing your production.

1 Like

Awesome job. Looks like a fun game.

1 Like