Cheap LED flashlight hack

Stumbled onto this, and thought I might whip one out with the forge, with the exception of embedding the LED’s in the edge of a frame to hold a 6x8" x1/4" etched acrylic image to be edge lit.

12 Likes

Probably address the ease of battery replacement also.

1 Like

Oh man, I love this! Thanks so much–can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

I really thought the most creative aspect of this project was his wire dispenser rack at 2:45 into the video. All if my wire is just tossed into a box that I have to dig through to find what I want. :smirk:

5 Likes

This might be a better option for the electronically and welding challenged…lol

5 Likes

It’s a clever idea, but given how cheap you can find LEDs for that you don’t need to hack, it’s probably not worth the time for most of us.

2 Likes

I just happen to have the flashlight he used, plus I like to tinker so that flashlight is in serious danger of being reconfigured.

2 Likes

Look at the link just above your comment. These are led light strips that work off batteries

1 Like

Free is still free. For those that want to learn there first circuits, this would be a good one. Not many tools needed and if you mess up then oh well. Buying ready made components all the time really doesn’t teach you in the long run.

3 Likes

Yes, I saw it.

1 Like

Absolutely.
I am sure I will avail myself of the ease and availability (thanks for the link @smcgathyfay) of the ready made strips, but that free flashlight is calling my name…

2 Likes

My daughter is an electrical engineer…I would probably have to ask her to make it for me…I would either shock myself or start a fire…lmao.

2 Likes

I’m an Electrical Engineer. Made some really nice unintentional fires.

8 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, just because you’re an electrical engineer that does not mean you won’t shock yourself (as if you would even notice a 4.5 volt shock) or start a fire. It just means you will be able to understand how it happened :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That sounds like the EE intern we had at a past job - after a week or so he earned himself we started calling him “Sparky”:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Love it! DIY on the cheap! :wink:

1 Like