Cheap Shop Light + GF=A fun Fixture

Happy 4th Everyone!

Went back into my MEH File (where I keep files I never did anything with) and found this. I had a cheap shop light lying around and wanted to make a pulley fixture to hold it. I think I will even keep the shade. I will paint the next one to look like Cast Iron. Just wanted to test it out and see if I even liked it. Put an Edison bulb in it I kinda like the look.

Yes, the wheel turns to raise and lower the light. :slight_smile:

6 boards of 1/8" MDF - only because I made the pulley wheels true to scale. Could be smaller I guess…What do you think?

I hope everyone has a great 4th!

67 Likes

Is the tension from the lamp’s cord, or from the wheel itself? Obviously you trust that that light only moves when you want it to. Can’t wait to see it “finished”, and the bigger it is, the further away from the wall it is, creating more area for the light to get to, so it’s also very functional!

7 Likes

Very nice Victor! In my opinion, if the wheel spokes were swept a little more would add years to the vintage.
Great idea for versatility! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Yeah. I designed the wheel so that the cord friction fits in the channel. There is a pin on the base that holds the cord so that it doesn’t stick out too much from the wall. Just pull it out and adjust. I agree on the bigger part. Kinda happy with it the way it looks.

6 Likes

This looks great!

3 Likes

I modeled the wheel off of a barn pulley that I have from 1902. I always intended to use the actual pulley but I thought I would see if I can make it with the GF. LOL

10 Likes

As is often the case when I visit here, you have given me a seed of an idea that may or may not germinate.

16 Likes

Oh I can’t wait to see the outcome!!!

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool, don’t think I would’ve thought of that. Looking forward to the final product!

3 Likes

Love this!

3 Likes

This is amazing! I think it looks great and will only be better when painted to look like cast iron. My husband has these types of lights in his shop and this would look so cool!

2 Likes

Fun design idea! And could be very useful, too!

2 Likes

I think that is awesome!! What a great idea! How much weight do you think it would hold? I thought you could use it for hanging plants - makes them easy to lower and water.

1 Like

I like it. Very retro looking. You have a great imagination. I’m jealous

2 Likes

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt…

3 Likes

This is made of mdf so I think not that much. The distance from the base to the outside of the pulley is pretty far. Will have to think of how to make it stronger.

2 Likes

If you had a clamcleat it would be easy …

4 Likes

I can hear it crying for a lampshade from here :izakaya_lantern:

2 Likes

Well, maybe an air plant then! In one of the acrylic planters in the GF catalog!

2 Likes

I love this!