Cheap Silhouette Cameo 3 Starter Bundle

Weeding heat transfer vinyl isn’t toooo bad. Much easier than sticker material, where one mistake can screw up your product.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve designed some decals and can koozies for friends and then cursed myself when it came time to weed them. Especially if they REALLY like them and want 20-30 of them. I now try to think about that when designing for them. I love me my stencil fonts! :grin:

3 Likes

What is weeding? (aside from pulling unwanted life from the earth)

5 Likes

I had to learn this term as well. It’s the removal of the masking material from small “islands” of surface area. (Think of the space within an “o” that is uncut. Weeding is the removal of that inner “circle” of masking material)

4 Likes

Here is a good example of weeding.

6 Likes

I posted three of my favorite weeding tools here in the Additional Tools thread.

5 Likes

Man, I paid $250 for the cameo 3 right after their release a couple of months ago. Sigh. Gotta get the glowforge soon so I stop buying things while I wait. The other day I bought a machine that puts foil on stuff. Really, is that necessary? No, no it is not. I’ve never put foil on anything in my life.

Now everyone is getting crap covered in metallic-y foil for christmas.

19 Likes

That makes sense. Removing the masking from the etched material is similar, except you don’t have to leave anything behind, so the get the small stuff I was using tape to pull it up.

5 Likes

What a great analogy! It is very much like that, only pulling unwanted stuff from a stencil. :relaxed:

4 Likes

That was so darned funny! That sounds exactly like something I’d do. Just can’t stop myself from doing and trying cool stuff. :joy:

6 Likes

Because I couldn’t stop at the Silhouette Cameo (Addiction from a few years ago) I ended up buying the Casio Stamp Machine, the Button Machine, Nail sticker machine…

There’s NO problem here… :squeeee:

11 Likes

Yes, I just got a color laser printer to try printed transfers to wood and stone. Now I have 5 printers. A wide format inkjet for printing 12 x 12 for Cameo paper cutting, my original inkjet to direct print on CD DVDs, a work inkjet (they don’t want me printing wirelessly to my printers), the new color laser and my old B&W laser that I’m planning on selling or donating.

Oh, I guess the Glowforge “Printer” would make it 6.

5 Likes

I picked up a button machine from craigslist last month…

Started with images cut from old magazines, then a few skull prints. I was having issues with the mylar top sheets.

These black & white ones (with the exception of the skullyMask, the QR code, and the drawing of @scatterbrains old profile pic) were vector-traced out of old sketchbooks of mine using Adobe Capture, then laminated to avoid having to use the mylar disks.

If you can’t tell, I’ve been having way too much fun with it!

32 Likes

That my friend is a prime example of getting the most from life! Taking a small pile of money and turning it into something that brings you joy - Sweet when those moments come along.
Nice machine, the buttons look great!

10 Likes

Thanks! It doesn’t hurt that a few days after I got it, a customer came in, saw the buttons I had made so far, and immediately ordered a large batch with the logo I had designed for him!

12 Likes

Outstanding! And soon, you will add a laser…

4 Likes

YAAASSSSS!!
and when I get the email I shall do a happy dance.

21 Likes

I find that a good desk lamp is extremely helpful. Last Christmas I got this OttLite as a gift. Couldn’t live without it for weeding intricate details. It is geared torward hobbyists: Available at Michal’s, Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. A good desk lamp would probably work just as well.

I’ve also heard that a light table can work wonders, but I haven’t used one yet.

9 Likes

These are fantastic…small, wearable works of art. I can sure understand why you’re having so much fun!

2 Likes

At least you didn’t get one of these like I once did (kind of wish I still had it). :joy:

8 Likes