Chess board gift

A few weeks ago, a good co-worker friend of mine gifted me a chess set. I’ve been playing chess daily with my son since, and I wanted to repay my friwnd and show him my gratitude. So I made him this:

As per my son and I, we might need to stop playing, as in the words of Abe Simpson to Homer: “we had a great thing here, and you had to ruin it by getting good!”

70 Likes

Really nice work. I love the corners.

7 Likes

I love it. Looks solid.

4 Likes

Beautiful work!

4 Likes

I used to play in a bar and when someone won they had to down the drink bought by the loser, Eventually everyone was on equal footing (as it were) :woozy_face:

6 Likes

A Gift of the Magi! he gives you the chess pieces and you gift him the board :wink:
It is a most excellent board!

5 Likes

This looks beautiful!

3 Likes

Beautiful

3 Likes

Very nice woodworking job. The engraving in the corners makes it special. :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you!
The corner engravings were a fun challenge. The pieces are about 18” long, so I had to slice the PG on the table saw and place them in the GF diagonally for engraving and cutting.
Also, slicing the vectors to print them on 2 different boards was surprisingly unintuitive.
I assumed that a command exists in inkscape where I can draw a line and split a vector or path in half. Nothing that worked! I had to duplicate all vectors and do a messy combination of commands, not elegant but it worked

4 Likes

Terrific work! Very pretty!

1 Like

The custom touches are so nice. Your buddy will be thrilled!

2 Likes

Very imaginative piece of work putting pieces diagonally in the GlowForge.

3 Likes

So we’ll done. And your corners, in spite of the challenges worked out well. Very curious about the materials used. Thickness, is it inlaid, etc. enquiring minds want to know. Also the size! Keep up the good work.

3 Likes

thanks,
the squares and engraved frame are medium maple and walnut PG ply. I glued it onto 1/2" baltic birch ply. I though I’ll paint the edge, but then found in my stack some mahogany moulding. cutting it and gluing it was a headache, next time I’ll find some square stock and only cut a bevel after.
I started with 2" squares, and added 2" engraved frame after.as mentioned that made the frame a bit awkward to fit in the gf. had to be sliced and engraved diagonally. it works but a bit wasteful, and takes more time.
btw I’m bummed anew every time I place a sheet and realized the cutting area doesn’t fit the sheet!

2 Likes

Better that than the reverse :thinking: Better to be able to place where you cannot cut than be able to cut where you cannot place. Especially when you want that extra space beyond the cutting area. Currently, I am engraving at 17.8 inches wide.
I engraved some 19" plus rulers by cutting them straight and then engraving them at 30degrees.

1 Like

All that considered, it still looks great. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Beautifully done! I’m sure your friend will love it. If he doesn’t there is something wrong with him!

1 Like

This is a great board and those chess pieces on the 2 tone corners are amazing!

1 Like

A beautiful gift!