Chess Box made from Wenge with Maple Hardwood

My wife was out of town this past week, so I needed a project to work on in the evenings. I made this portable chess box/board using Wenge and Maple. The drawer is made from 1/8" maple ply and lined with leather. The pieces are made from Maple and African Padauk, with engraved images of the chess pieces. The entire playing area is 4" x 4". I’m really happy with how it turned out!

53 Likes

You should be really happy that looks really great

4 Likes

Wow! That’s tiny! I’d knock everything off the board trying to move a piece! But I absolutely love the whole design, especially the woods for the top. The whole thing looks very elegant!

9 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks! And yeah, it’s pretty small. I’ll probably include a pair of tweezers if I ever give it as a gift :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That looks amazing. Great work!

4 Likes

Beautiful choice of woods and great execution.

3 Likes

Welcome! That is a fabulous first post and a treasure for the generations! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Turned out so cool, congrats!

3 Likes

That turned out beautiful!

2 Likes

That looks great! Nice workmanship. How was the Wenge to work with? I’ve never used it before and it has such a beautiful color!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you! Wenge is a tricky wood. It splinters really bad, so cutting it and processing it down to a laser-able state can sometimes be a pain (I run boards through a bandsaw to get the thickness I want, then run that through a drum sander for 3/16" thick boards). It’s also tricky to laser: it needs high power and relatively slower speed to cut through in a single pass (115/full is what I use). I’ve tried higher speeds with multiple passes, but I’ve found the edge charring to be worse and that throws my kerf adjustments off. But, all that being said, it sands super smooth and looks fantastic with lacquer. Once you dial in your settings and method, you couldn’t ask for a prettier wood.

5 Likes

Wow it’s beautiful! And I recognize those images from a (much simpler) set i just finished… well done!

3 Likes

do you use a wood grain filler on the wenge? i finally bought some a couple of months ago for my wenge, but i haven’t made anything with wenge since i bought it. i find that some wenge has some, for lack of better words, tiny gaps in the surface. it’s also not always super stable along the grain (depends on the piece of wood, some feels more stable than others).

2 Likes

I didn’t use grain filler on this project, and generally don’t with my Wenge projects. If it were for a customer, I might, but since this was for my own amusement, I didn’t. You’re right, though–Wenge has lots of tiny gaps/voids. Personally, I don’t really mind them. Just part of the wood’s character. As for stability, I haven’t had any issues. It might be my supplier selling me the good stuff, but I’ve never had any real problems with Wenge warping/swelling/etc.

3 Likes

That is a very lovely dark wood.

2 Likes

For very dark wood that would be easier to work and not break the bank (Gabon Ebony), I have Katalox that I have not had a design worthy of it as yet but would probably go there before wenge even though I have some of all three.

2 Likes

A touch screen pen with the soft nub would work for pushing pieces around without using fat fingers and a set of two should fit in your drawer.

Small size is actually not a deal breaker. People who play chess will figure it out and roll with it.

Project came out very well. Be proud.

5 Likes

Thanks for that! A touch screen pen is a really good idea.

2 Likes