Chili Contest Trophies

Please! Trying to eat breakfast here! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yup. Hereā€™s their chili lineup from one of the two big chains:

Disgusting!

3 Likes

Kind of the way I feel about Crabcakes. You canā€™t make an edible crabcake if you use store bought crab meat. Almost all of it is from some bland Asian species of crab. Blue crabs only. I have a geographical preference that definitely affects the flavor, but at least have the taste to use Blue crab.

2 Likes

Those look great. Nice work.

1 Like

I have always preferred creativity over tradition in food even if it makes the traditional partisans a bit queasy. If it is good tasting it is good tasting even when very different. My favorite example is Southern Fried Sushi.

Starting with traditional sushi the nori, pickled ginger, and variable amount of wasabi are the same but instead of fish there is ham or bacon (or both) cooked, and a bit of cooked sweet potato, or other creative thoughts, then instead of rice; grits cooked similarly stiff do very well and then the roll is sliced up like regular sushi but then dipped in a bit of egg and lightly fried on each side, makes excellent eating but blows the mind of committed consumers of Souther or Japanese cuisine.

Iā€™m partial to Dungeness, myself. :slight_smile:

Me, too. Iā€™ve actually never had blue crab, but Dungeness is really hard to beat.

1 Like

Blue Crabs are scavengers, Dungeness Crabs are mainly carnivores but also scavenge, but hidden away in the Florida Keys (and probably widely spread in the Carribean ) is a decently sized Spider Crab that is a pure vegetarian. They donā€™t get caught in traps, but they are slow and easy to grab while diving, Instead of sharp claws like the scavengers they have claws that more resemble a cows jaw.

Where Blue Crabs have that Crabby back taste more than Stone Crabs that are pure carnivores, the vegetarians have the mildest taste of all.

3 Likes

Yeah, no. Lots of crabs taste good. But someone that prefers other crabs in their crab cakes doesnā€™t know the difference between a Maryland style (Chesapeake Bay) crab cake and a Costco crabcake. My opinion and sticking to it.

3 Likes

Of all the kinds of crab Iā€™ve had (and honestly, I really have no idea what kind most of them were; they were just the kind people ate wherever I was at the time), Dungeness beats them all for flavor.

Also, I like a good crab cake, donā€™t get me wrong. But it always seems kind of analogous to making meatloaf out of prime steak. Because, WHY, when the crab is so delicious all by itself? :wink:

4 Likes

Those are yummy! :smiley:

Againā€¦I agree. I like GIN and when I treat myself to a bottle of really good gin, to me it would be a disservice to use it in a mixed drink.

2 Likes

Totally agree! I was a big scotch drinker for a while and when I did I was horrified if anyone drank their scotch any way other than how I thought it should have been drank.

Now, if someone wants to take a Bruichladdich Dark Arts and mix it with ginger ale, thatā€™s their prerogative. In my opinion, youā€™re ruining the flavor and not getting the full appreciation out of it, but hey , knock yourself out! What do I care if youā€™re ruining a $100 shot of scotch. :smiley:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Yummy pollack!

3 Likes

Once, during a visit, the kind people I was staying with served me something I didnā€™t recognize. Since I grew up eating Japanese food, that was pretty surprising.

It was some sort of tempura-like poultry with miniature bone-in drumsticks along with finely-diced cooked tubers of some sort with a thick soy-based sauce and another dish predominantly of steamed shredded cabbage.

I finally asked. They were very surprised that I did not recognize the classic American meal of fried chicken with mashed potatoes and coleslawā€¦

Then, there is okonomiyaki, which always gets glossed as ā€œJapanese pizza.ā€

6 Likes

When I am comparing some crabs with other crabs, I am not talking about Red Lobster, or Costco, or the local Chinese all-you-can-eat. I am talking about getting out in the water and grabbing them yourself!

At one point I would go out sailing for a week or two at a time. I would carry dry grain, Onions, basic soup like Golden Onion and Sweetened Condensed Milk. Everything else I supplied from what I could collect.

2 Likes

The best crab youā€™re going to find is that of which is local to you. Why? Because if itā€™s sourced right, it will be the freshest.

Fish, in particular, is at its absolute best fresh out of the water, cleaned and cooked. Some of the best fish Iā€™ve had are just panfish moved from the stringer to the fry pan for a quick shore lunch. (Though the best fish out there :slight_smile: is a ling/cobia/lemon fish, they go by a bunch of regional names)

4 Likes

Ummmā€¦so Iā€™m guessing fish sticks with ketchup donā€™t count in the best category?

I do eat the occasional tuna melt.

4 Likes

I canā€™t stand tunaā€¦ at least, tuna from a can.

2 Likes