Chili Contest Trophies

:slightly_smiling_face: It’s the only kind I eat.

I’m not much of a seafood guy. Just eat what I had growing up in a family with 6 kids :yum:

5 Likes

I refuse to like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Haha! There was a place in Misawa-Shi that sold “spaghetti.” It looked pretty convincing, but it turned out to made from noodles and catsup. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Isn’t that what :man_cook::boy::registered::id: “spaghetti.” is? Or did they make it from real cats?

1 Like

My “manwife” does it better than that! Okay, he uses sauce out of a jar, but hey, if I don’t have to do the cooking, I’m not complaining! :wink:

1 Like

I know right!? What’s with all the tomatoes???:wink:

I had Sashimi tacos a few weeks ago. The “shell” was a foam of some kind. very tasty. Not a fish taco.

The hotel I stayed at in Osaka had a traditional breakfast or a Western or American breakfast buffet. The second morning we tried the American one. I’ve never seen mini hot dogs and miniature buns served for breakfast before, but it was the hashed potatoes that got the laugh: tater tots. There were some Chinese tour groups staying at the hotel and this was the one they preferred.

So much this with seafood. The freshness makes the shore lunch. And mussels picked off the rocks and tossed in the lobster bake are incredible.

And the argument has been made for the anti-heart button.

My paternal grandmother’s recipe. Great baker, not so much cooking.

5 Likes

Tangent: I just recently learned that watermelon is a vegetable. WTH.

When I asked Google to be sure I was being given accurate information, Google said it’s actually a fruit AND a vegetable. Watermelon is versatile!

5 Likes

I’ve read if you pick it and it continues to ripen it is a fruit. If you pick it and it starts to rot it is a vegetable. I am neither a taxonomist or a botanist.

4 Likes

To all you lucky folk in the Pacific Northwest there is the finest and ugliest eating to be found in your area, and likely very common as rarely predated by humans, unlike everything you probably know about.

In Florida, the Goose-necked Barnacles are pathetic things with necks a few mm in diameter and an inch long or so but up in your area, they are like elephant legs over an inch in diameter and 6-8 inches long and a much different shape than locally here.

Most folk are turned aside by their looks but they are crustaceans just as crabs or lobsters and those huge necks are pure meat wrapped in a skin of ugly. In the US they are rarely eaten but I saw some advertised in Spain at 100 Euro’s per Kilo when the Euro was about $2. They are all over the rocks just like the Mussels, but I would expect to be more common. I found them near Carmel but was driving a rented car north and could not collect them as we would have no means of keeping or cooking, and I would expect them all the way out the Aleutians. I don’t know if the Japanese are as fond of them but the colder the water the bigger they get. (This is also true on the coast of Maine, but not quite as huge)

2 Likes

Touche’!!!

And that reminds me, I need to get my heirloom tomato seed order in and get the plants going!

By contrast, on the same trip to Japan, I went fishing with someone else I stayed with. He was very excited about a particular fish we caught, which we immediately cleaned, cut up and ate on the spot. Freshest sashimi ever.

2 Likes

Same here. I can just manage to pretend it’s canned chicken. :blush:

1 Like