Christmas Ornament Bonanza!

Did a bunch of prototype ornaments to send out as Christmas cards this year.

I am smitten with the tree made of stained glass.
20171202_202151
20171202_202305

I have some other snowflake ones drying made of glass. These ones are blue acrylic.

The NH state is stained glass sandwiched between baltic birch.

36 Likes

Very unique idea and so pretty! :grinning::+1:

Thank you! I plan on making the state one into a lighted wall piece with the stained glass too.

2 Likes

Nice! Did you infill that acrylic with gold paint? That’s what it looks like.

These are so beautiful! I cannot wait to get my glowforge!

so is the tree a piece of stained glass that you etched on the GF?

The blue acrylic, paint before demasking?

Yes it is a piece of stained glass. I cut it with a glass cutter and ground the edges to a smooth bevel with a glass grinder. Used a dremel for the hole in the top, put blue tape over it and into the GF for etching. I then dry-brushed the etching and once dry took the tape off. Some of the paint came off when I used a sponge to clean what got under the tape but I like the aged look it gives.

1 Like

Yes, paint before de-masking.

1 Like

I just used craft paint before I de-masked it.

thanks! that’s great to know. my wife does stained glass and i think we can find some uses for this in her work.

You definitely can! I used 400 speed at full power, a single pass. Beveling the edges slightly is easy on a grinder if she doesn’t have an actual beveling tool. I also know that there is a paint that won’t come off so easily that is used for stained glass. I just didn’t remember it until after I did these.

cool, thanks. not sure if she has a beveling tool, but she definitely has a grinder.