Christmas Russian Doll Jigsaw Puzzles. (Micro Puzzles.)

The kerf adjustment is :kissing_heart: :ok_hand:
Unique twist on the traditional nested configuration. Nice work.

10 Likes

Yes, I did include tweezers :grinning: … and yes, I did lose more than one puzzle to a sneeze!

12 Likes

How in the world did you not lose those tiny pieces in the GF tray holes

They were cut upside down on top of an alignment sled, not resting directly on the tray.

7 Likes

If you mean, how did I align the cut precisely on the piece, I’m preparing a tutorial on that.

14 Likes

Squee! Very squeeee! :squeeee: :squeeee: :squeeee:

12 Likes

A few more pictures on the tiny puzzle (different box)…

At that size, it starts to get challenging.:grinning: To make it actually interlocking, the 1.8mm pieces have to be cut individually with kerf adjustment. They also have to be masked, or the picture will be completely covered in char. De-masking is tricky for multiple reasons. The pieces are fragile and the delicate cuts aren’t always successful. Every puzzle contains multiple substitution pieces; I haven’t yet cut a complete puzzle without rejected pieces.

Edge char has to be blotted manually (the salt trick isn’t a good solution here). Crumbs stuck in the holes are removed with dental floss. The whole process requires so much handling of each piece that some of them are bound to get a little scuffed.

The origami boxes are modified versions of this. I use the laser to lightly score the fold lines. Unfortunately I don’t have the software to easily parameterize the boxes.

23 Likes

Since the pieces look to be about the size of large salt grains, I can see how that would be problematic! :smile:
(Great job on it!)

13 Likes

So tiny. Thanks for sharing the details. ThIs is really cool! My FIL would love these, but I just don’t have that kind of patience!

10 Likes

That is so awesome! That tiny one, wow! I thought the middle one was small! I think I would’ve started that one as the small one and worked up from there, as my eyesight and dexterity wouldn’t be good enough for the littlest one. Great job! What was the family’s reaction?

10 Likes

This is AMAZING. I am really looking forward to your tutorial. Thank you for sharing.

6 Likes

They got a kick out of it :slight_smile: My uncle especially loves all kind of games; I’d hazard he’s the one that started the tradition decades ago.

Re dexterity, I found it easiest to work the puzzles on top of a sticky-side-up piece of transfer paper.

12 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

7 Likes

You have certainly set the bar high for puzzle makin! I’m looking forward to your tutorial.

6 Likes

Wow, just wow, that’s amazing!

5 Likes

You have a lot of patience! This is really awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah, it took me months to develop good techniques and become proficient. A lot longer than younger people would have taken. I hope the tutorial will be helpful to other people (and especially that people will find improved techniques and share them)!

7 Likes

Wow! Amazing. And to think that most in your family likely have no idea what went into really making them. Honestly, I was a few years into this laser journey before I fully understood what it would take and I certainly still don’t have the patience.

5 Likes

Go here for the promised tutorial on kerf-adjusted jigsaws :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That is insanely cool!

4 Likes

Wow, incredible!

I have allergies, so this would be a bad idea for me. :rofl:

1 Like