Chromebook etching

Would anyone have settings on etching on a chromebook? I went back to school and i want to etch an inspirational saying on it

Not having a chromebook in front of me, do you know what yours is made of? Aluminum? Some sort of plastic?

1 Like

you can alway engrave on veneer then cut it to size and glue it on

4 Likes

If it’s metal you could start with the Macbook Air setting.

1 Like

Did you ever figure this out? We are in the same boat.

1 Like

No I’m scared to etch it . I don’t want it to break

1 Like

When I figure it out. I’ll post what I did. Thanks.

1 Like

I did some engrave tests on metal, I used a really small and fine design which gave me an idea of what settings would work before “committing” to a bolder design closer to the intended final application. I did it a few times before coming up with the final settings.

As with any material - and even other techniques, not just the laser - you need to test in an unobtrusive area before you commit to a large print. For example, a small test in a spot that would be covered by a large engraved area in the final design.

1 Like

Thought I would give it a try.
1000/30/340

This is a Samsung XE310XBA Chromebook.

While it was engraving the text was black, but as soon as I took the can of Air to it, it revealed the white/cream color. I ended up taking some soap and water and cleaning the engraving a little more.

2 Likes

Soap and water - you’re a brave man! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am trying to do something similar with plastic chromebooks. Looking to add a barcode.

Can’t imagine a plastic case will engrave very well, not to mention if you don’t know what kind of plastic it is, it could be unsafe to use in the laser.