Circle Ruler/Template (0.2000in to 0.5545in)

Here’s a little ruler thing I made, with circles ranging from 0.2in to 0.545in diameter with 0.005in increments. Made it mostly to see what size cut so I can have dowels, findings, etc. would sit in the engrave or cut perfectly, because like a 1/4 in dowel actually may need a 0.255 or 0.265 inch diameter or something. You can also cut instead of etch if you are planning on pushing things through the material. Hope it’s helpful to y’all.

I included snapmarks because I used them + a jig to cut out of a piece of material with not enough slack for visual aligning. Feel free to ignore them.

Circle%20Test%20p2%20to%20p5

40 Likes

That is nice, what material did you kerf compensate to?

2 Likes

It uploaded. It’s the little box above your “hmmm” line. You just have to change the size attributes in the insertion line. Probably something like 50x25 now…I just add a 0 to each number.

4 Likes

no kerf compensations at all

Okay, well you have the start of something cool but may I gently suggest that you read up on kerfs (lots of information here) and apply it? That would make this much more useful.

This is a way for me to see how circular findings fit into holes engraved by the Glowforge so I can just plug things in them until it fits and say “okay if I want to stick this specific brand of jewelry finding on to the back of draftboard / most other proofgrade woods it’ll fit snugly if I make a 0.435 inch diameter circle engrave in my file”, which is a lot faster than measuring with calipers and then doing math and making three test prints for each thing I want to stick into an engraved or cut slot.

If the goal was to actually create circles of those diameters then yeah I will definitely need to do kern compensation. Like idk subtract 0.006in or something from each diameter for proofgrade draftboard? I guess if someone really wanted that they can just take this file and edit it or something.

14 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

That’s how I looked at it. It doesn’t really matter what the real physical size is, just matters what I have to tell the software/GF it is so it fits. That’s a quick & easy thing without needing to mess around with messing around with the math & adjustments to make real physical measurement matches.

13 Likes

Thank you - simple but useful

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch! Great to have on hand for dowels. I’ll add it to my folder of practical solutions.

2 Likes

Many thanks for sharing! I’ll also be using mine as a dowel gauge - way better/quicker than using my verniers.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your work!

2 Likes

nices

1 Like

I’ve been looking for something like this. Sorry if this is a silly question but can you explain the measurements and how I would plug these in Illustrator to get those diameters?

1 Like

You can right-click on the small image that will let you save it as an SVG file that you can just drop into the GFUI without ever using illustrator or another program.