Circular Slide Rule for the GF

Thanks @dwardio for the design! I made mine in non-PG white oak ply, and gave it an oil/wax finish.

48 Likes

I barely ever won a battle with a standard slide rule, don’t even want to think how badly I would come out against a round one.

12 Likes

Glad you like it – the oak looks great!

4 Likes

That looks great!

2 Likes

This is cool. It sparked an idea that I don’t know if it has any merit.

Could you make something like this with power and speed on it as a guide of how to step up or down

I am sure it’s not that simple or useful. But if you don’t share the idea you may never know.

4 Likes

My dad always used a slide ruler. I never understood it. But I love the design!

5 Likes

Yeah, I keep meaning to google how these work but as I say, it is pretty far down on my list.

3 Likes

A slide rule uses a logarithm scale to multiply and divide. They are shown as the C and D scales. To multiply, the value of the C scale is added to that of the D scale. The tricky part is keeping up with the numbers of zeros or where to put the decimal point. It uses what is called scientific notation. :blush:

6 Likes

To be honest, I don’t really know how to use it, yet. This is what I’m used to:

A circular[ish] slide[ing] rule[r].

2 Likes

I have a pattern for the time/speed/distance rings of the E6B flight computer shown. PM me if you’re interested.

3 Likes

Happy Cakeday @kelley1! :partying_face:

1 Like

I made one of these for me and one for my son. It is allowing me to see math in a different way. It is totally cool! Thanks so much for the great design @dwardio !
Here is a short & simple tutorial I found to get you started

6 Likes

Cool!

2 Likes

I heard Charlie Brown’s teacher.

And there was a time in my life I really understood math.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial. I’ve bookmarked it.

2 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes