City Map Coasters

I picked up these cheap wooden coasters on sale for like $5 and engraved them with the maps of my favorite cities in the world. This project definitely followed my 5/5 rule: It takes 5 seconds to get the inspiration to do something that takes 5 hours (or more) to do. I used SnazzyMaps to create the maps and layered them with labels and borders in Photoshop and Illustrator.

56 Likes

Those are really nice!

3 Likes

These are fantastic. I’ve been meaning to try Snazzy Maps for a gift I need to make. This might be the push I need to finally do it!

4 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Nicely done, I think coaster are fun to make.

I like your 5/5 rule. Mine is more like 5sec / 5 month rule. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks! You can do a search for “laser” in the map styles to get the most usable styles. I think I used Epilog Laser for these maps. In addition, as you zoom in and out, you jump from one thickness of lines to completely different thickness. As with many projects, I experienced severe mission creep on this one–to get the thickness of the lines I wanted over the whole map, I took screen shots of each city in quarters, then combined them in photoshop. The fiddling factor is what makes these projects so long.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s not sustainable because the inspirations keep coming. But that’s what makes life inspiring.

2 Likes

Those look great!

1 Like

Love the maps you created!

3 Likes

Very nice maps and perfect subject matter for coasters! Great job!

3 Likes

Excellent project. I hope you get to visit your favorite cities soon.

1 Like

I have the most difficulty with the labels and border. Is there a really good tutorial on this?

1 Like

For inexpensive coasters, the wood grain is really nice. Cool idea too. :blush:

4 Likes

I like to get rid of all those in Snazzymaps, then add them to look exactly like I want in photoshop, Illustrator, or even InDesign.

1 Like

Love your designs! I think I’ll try that. Thank you!

2 Likes

Nice work.

Heh. Bangkok… (yes, I am 12)

3 Likes

Oh WOW, they turned out great! Congratulations @playbook1

3 Likes

Those are lovely!

2 Likes

Maps can take a bit of time. Think your time was well spent on these!

4 Likes

What style did you use with SnazzyMaps?