Classic Alphabet blocks

I’m in total awe. Those are just beautiful!!

1 Like

Awesome! So very pretty! And thank you for sharing. I can’t wait until my Glowforge arrives so I can start doing things like this!

1 Like

These look freaking awesome, thank you for showing the method. :heart:

4 Likes

OMGoodness…love these!

2 Likes

That’s the whole idea of this post. 1 cut in carton first. 2 put these cut lines to ignore 3 engrave letters
All in one file… Don’t move the carton

Beautiful engraving. What were your settings and what type of wood were the blocks?

Thanks. We can’t talk settings in this part of the forum (for legal reasons I am not 100% clear on, but someone will be along to explain them at length shortly). However, I will message you.

A lot of good information. Thanks for the share.

2 Likes

WOW! I was expecting classic “Kid” alphabet blocks when I opened the link. Those are amazing!

2 Likes

I’m impressed with your work!

2 Likes

So to replicate on a 2" block - do the same thing. Set a piece of cardboard at 2" - cut sq - drop in block and go. Right?

Pretty much. As long as your squares and your design are lined up in your file, the holes for the cubes get cut, the cubes slot in and you can ignore what the preview tells you. Just set focus to the top of a cube and go.

As noted, 2 inches is the Max you can work with and things get finicky around there.

2 Likes

thanks so much

These are very pretty. Thank you for the pictures. It truly helps those of us who are new to the GF world!!!

1 Like

I am a little confused how do you use, place etc a permanent top left corner jig… I have a feeling this is what I would want to master

1 Like

You aren’t alone. I started using mine last year but struggle w/ alignment so much that I haven’t touched it since December. There’s a lot of useful references on these forums so I just hope, by reading enough of them, it’ll finally make sense. Best of luck!

I had to read it a couple times but that’s helped me as well. I was always a little concerned that cardboard would burn. Thanks!

Worked perfect!

I love the bold color here. Did you dye first then etch or the reverse? If you etched first, do you have to scrub the etched area to remove excess burned materials prior to dying? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

From the photo (March '21) it appears the wood is dyed before engraved, the original poster will be along to confirm.