This is a set of Alphabet blocks. The letters are open source and I decided to do a project with them.
They still need a bit more de-smutzing, but they are pretty cool I think. I picked up a set of 1.75 blocks on Amazon and without the crumb tray they fall nicely in the focus sweet spot. The only trick was alignment.
I started out with some cardboard and two rails of 3/4 plywood. I cut the plywood so that when the cardboard sits on top it is slightly lower than the top of my cubes.
The cardboard is taped to the top of my wooden rails and the bottom of the rails are held in place with double sided tape.
Next, I focus on the cardboard and cut my holes for the blocks:
Then just slot the blocks in place
and refocus to the top of the blocks and engrave.
One thing to note when focusing on the blocks is that the fisheye will lie to you, especially at the edges. Just trust the jig and hit the go button.
Here is the file I used. Just right click the image below and choose save as. Please note, this uses layers in Inkscape, with one layer for each group of 10 blocks and the first layer for the cardboard cutout (this is why the preview below looks weird, the layers are stacked over top of each other). I designed it so that every letter is on at least two seperate blocks and common letters are on at least 3 blocks.
Also note, at about 38 minutes per side, for each group of 10 blocks and 6 sides, this is not a quick project. Enjoy!