Classic Radio re-imagined

A while back I saw a picture of the Philips Roller Radio from the early 80’s thought the design would work out well in wood. So I did this guy. The face, back and handle pieces are made from multiple pieces of 1/8" and 1/4" plywood cut on my 40 er 32watt ebay laser. The middle sections I cut on my CNC router. It turned out slightly larger than actual scale.

50 Likes

Thats awesome! great design

That’s awesome! It looks almost real. I like the tape cassette engrave. Now you just need to figure out how to hook up an MP3 player inside.

5 Likes

Very cool work @izitvintage. Why stop with just an MP3 player. It would be great(er) with portable speakers mounted behind the classic speaker grills.

3 Likes

Wow, great job! I really like the grill work over the speakers. And the handle. And the little knobs!

1 Like

Beautiful work!!

1 Like

Fantastic!!

It actually has 5/14" speakers a 20watt stereo amp and bluetooth connectivity!

11 Likes

probably floats too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

This is SO awesome! I never knew I wanted one of these until I visited this thread… :slight_smile:

I like it.

When I saw your images I knew I had found a “box” suitable for a 50 Watt amp with a Bluetooth connection. Might have to swap out the push-button digital controls for analogue rotary potentiometers to maintain the retro feel.

What is the sound quality like?

Best laugh of the day…
Thanks for that.

2 Likes

That is beautiful… Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

That is inspiring!

1 Like

In all seriousness this is awesome. I have a portable speaker that floats and it made me think about how that’s the only thing that could make this cooler, but then I caught myself. Then I started thinking about the witch trial in Monty Python

7 Likes

SQ isn’t bad considering i decided to keep it more in line with the dimensions of the photos I referenced, rather than the needs of the drivers. Its a little peaky in the higher bass regions, kind of like a consumer boombox from the 80’s!

4 Likes

Love it! I think I might have to take a shot at a cathedral-style radio when I can after seeing this.

1 Like

Very impressive! Did you finish it with anything? or is that just the natural wood?

1 Like

This is what is so great about this forum. We can share, experiment, and best of all communicate with each other in a respectful fashion. Excellent work and very creative.

5 Likes

Ducks float. If she outweighs the duck, BURN HER!!!

1 Like