Cleaning black residue off of ceramic tile

So I printed this tile but got this black residue in the engraving that I haven’t dealt with before. Would isopropyl alcohol work on this or should I use something else to dissolve it?

3 Likes

That’s probably the safest solvent to start with. It certainly won’t harm the surface.

3 Likes

Can you try varying power settings? Some easy, a circle for example.

The same happened to me and with more power it becomes white again; I assume it´s a very superficial engrave and it’s burning some residues, not finishing through the enamel layer.

I have no answer for you, but that’s a really pleasing design.

1 Like

Thanks, I thought so too when I picked it out from the graphics on the GFUI :grin:

1 Like

It’s strange because I use the exact same settings when I’m working with the 4x4in ceramic tiles and those tiles came out clean (different manufactures, different results I guess). If I had a bunch of these tiles I’d definitely invest in some testing, but unfortunately I only have about 10 and they’ve all been earmarked for specific designs.

1 Like

Clean it ?!? You found another magic tile! If you search hard enough in all of the ceramic tile engrave posts on this forum you’ll come across someone else who found a tile that did this. As I recall, they were flooded with requests of where they bought it, who made it, etc… A tile you don’t have to color/sharpie.

2 Likes

My thoughts too. I was looking at it like where is the black residue? :rofl: I stopped doing tiles because the cost of Sharpies and the fumes from going through so many markers to achieve her results were getting to me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

It would work if I was creating a set of noir Christmas ornaments, but I would like to color the tree green and the star gold because I’m silly that way. :grin:

This black residue flakes pretty badly too, so if you want to keep it you’ll have to seal it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.