Cleaning up the workspace

For the people that use Mitutoyo digital calipers
Maybe you can use it

halve_la_schuifmaten_v4

37 Likes

Neat idea, but I just leave them laying about everywhere! I have one on my sofa side-table, and TWO on my Glowforge side panels…

(Just highlighting how UN-organized I am…)

(Doesn’t everyone have calipers at-hand at all times?)

15 Likes

you sound like me :slight_smile: trying to clean up my act :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, i need this too!!
Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

And here I was thinking I must be crazy to want to buy another caliper. Do they sell them in four-packs? That’d be perfect :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You have to have multiple calipers, how else will you know if they agree :rofl:

6 Likes

I bought the cheap one in the pic despite having 3 already because it has the fractional inch display…

My others are Mitutoyo that I inherited from my dad, he was a toolmaker.

3 Likes

I just ordered some more calipers from AliExpress for their 1111 sale

4 Likes

One of the cute moments from my university physics days: a story problem about microwaving a chocolate bar, finding it not yet fully melted, but with regularly spaced soft spots… and then “because like any great engineer you always have your Vernier calipers handy” feeling compelled to measure the spacing and find the resonant frequency of the microwave.

5 Likes

I have two vernier calipers out of plastic and a cheap Chinese digital one, I feel so limited :sob:

3 Likes

You could print your own you know. Maybe a nice walnut set.

2 Likes

there should be a few more but i ques that’s why i try to clean up a bit :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Calipers on hand? I wish I did! I have measuring devices all over the house, but never the right one in the right room. Try measuring the sofa with calipers, or the material thickness with a contractor’s square. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Dang, new rabbit hole; I’ve got some on order.

3 Likes

It looks cleaner! but is it cleaner :slight_smile:

10 Likes

The cheap digital calipers I have (and most of the cheap ones, apparently) never really turn off (even after pressing the off button). Because mine kept needing new batteries every other time I used them, I got in the habit of removing the battery and, re-stowing in the case after each use … which is not super convenient.

I saw someone had hacked a switch into one unit but, it looked like more effort than the price of a Mitutoyo.

Mitutoyo is one of the best there is. Last year I bought a little bigger (longer) one and it works till now just fine. You just need a little luck with the cheaper ones or go for safe!

2 Likes

Some people had had no issues, but I’ve had my fair share of bad trials with ‘quality’ imports from Harbor Fright, MSC, and the like. :weary:

As a former mold maker (or tool maker, depending on who your talking to) for the plastics industry, I now stay with the Mitotoyo or Brown & Sharp brands of calipers. :+1:

3 Likes

Of course, once you finish cleaning, you’ll still be unable to find them because now they’ll be where they belong not where you need them. :wink::smile:

4 Likes

its a long shot but maybe people can use bits and pieces
3parts_Tray75mm schroevendraaiers_final_v1
halve_la_blokhaken_v4
4parts_Tray75mm Tray75mmkort2parts
Tray75mmLang2parts

12 Likes