Clear acrylic briefcase

I know this post is about can it be done…and how. My take is VERY minor and a complete aside from that…it will sort of look like hell after just a brief time. That beautiful, sparkling acrylic will be unbelievably scratched and covered with fingerprints and static dust.

8 Likes

Plexus spray or Novus polishing cream will take care of that :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

True…I do use that, myself. But, it would be a PITA to have to maintain an entire briefcase that way. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I do have a CNC machine, I just haven’t gotten around to learning how to use it. CNC machines uses gcode files, which I have yet to learn more about. Also, the software to get it started is completely different from the glowforge or Silhouette studios.

So there’s alt to learn in that machine. I will look into the polycarbonate material and trying out a design using the methods you suggested to strengthen the acrylic. Thank you for the information.

2 Likes

You could also use some sort of cool straps around the briefcase to use as a closure, and, to relieve some of the stress on the joints as it’s used…

1 Like

I found this and thought I could use this around the acrylic to make a nice frame.

https://shop.factoryguy.com/doctor-bag-frames-carpet-bag-metal-frames-10-sets-p-485.html

My mother told me to start small, I don’t know what color to use though. I also thought of just sculpting a frame out of apoxie sculpt. I often timex use clay in my artwork since I’m a big fan of mixed media art. Not sure if those would be a good support system for acrylics. What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

You really don’t need to learn anything about G-Code. Your design software will take care of creating the G-Code files you’ll need - like creating the SVGs and uploading them to the GF.

I use VCarve Pro but there are free design apps tailored to CNC like Carbide Create and Easel. You can even do your design in Inkscape and just use one of these apps to define which bits you’re going to use for which parts of the project. But I find designing and toolpath definition in one app is easier from a workflow standpoint.

When you get to using it, just give a shout. There are a number of us here who have both types of machines.

4 Likes

I’m new to using the CNC machine and I had such a hard time in setting it up and getting it to work for me with the software I downloaded. I got it to work a tiny bit with Easel until one of the pieces came off of the machine. I have an King Carve by Millright and the instructions I feel wasn’t clear. It spoke so much about gcode and axis that I got completely lost and frustrated lol. I’ve somewhat mastered the use of the goowforge, and while I’m still learning, I’d still like to understand and use the CNC too. It’ll help expand my handmade business I think.

1 Like

You’re right. That’s a common complaint. Check out Carbide Create - I think it’s a better app by far than Easel.

The good thing about CNC routers is they all operate pretty much the same so it’s easy to get help. And they deal in meaningful units like inches or mm not made up numbers with unexplained relationships like the GF :grinning:

2 Likes

I will definitely look into that software. I was using easel because it was the only software I knew. All of the other ones I found I did not understand and had such a hard time with them. But it’s possible that it’s because these were non-recognizable name brand software.

I know folks who had trouble with Easel and found that Carbide clicked or vice versa. My issue with Easel is that the company isn’t really invested in it as a strategic offering. Carbide is treating theirs more seriously (& it’s similar to VCarve without the price tag). Carbide makes the ShapeOko line of CNC machines so they’re reputable and not going anywhere. They’re also committed to making it available so you can use it without being connected to the internet which is a common complaint here and other places. You install it on your PC.

1 Like

I have nothing practical to add, but if you do give it a go, I’d love to see whatever you come up with!

1 Like

I know shapeoko, I was looking into their CNC before deciding on Millright. Good to know from others about Carbide and Easel. I know I decided against X-Carve after watching a side by side review of the Shapeoko brand. I fell in love with that brand but could t afford it. So I went with Millright as my starting point. Thank you for all of this information, it helps a lot!

Just a thought but a wood frame covered with leather holding a replaceable sheet of Lexan and a run of soft foam so the computer can be seen from two sides. The screws can be through leather and wood holding the plastic in place like a frame and the foam protecting the computer even if dropped. :grin:

You could then engrave either the plastic or a flap of the leather and make it look very spiffy.

3 Likes

Just to throw another confusing alternative into the mix: you could make a prototype out of wood then make a silicone mold and cast the two halves out of epoxy resin. No finger joints to worry about.

5 Likes

First they aren’t see through. Second you’ll need to bend them to a hard 90 degrees. Something like These would look much better. Maybe lighter duty ones

2 Likes

I’ve thought of this before. Just wasn’t sure how I’d go about doing this. But that’ll require me playing around and losing a lot of material, wouldn’t it?

These would only decorate the area around the clear briefcase right? I don’t want it to be so plain so something decorative and something that could possibly make it sturdier and stronger is what I’m looking for. I have a CNC machine so I just might go about using polycarbonate instead of acrylic.

1 Like

That’s what I would do. Still not as structurally sound as wood. And it will be dropped.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.