Clock Making

Been working on this project for a few weeks whenever I had time. I finally perfected it. The clock hands were what took the most time. Getting the right size so they don’t easily break and finding the piece for the second had to attach to the clock mechanism took the longest. The designs are printed on the wood and the hands can be printed in any color. The planchette design, I purchased from someone and adjusted it for the clock. I am really excited that I got the clock hands to come out.

51 Likes

Really love the Ouija clock.

5 Likes

These are absolutely amazing. Did you get any particularly special clock mechanism? I have been working with a friend on making a 10 handed clock (2 hands with 5 on each) and the hands are presenting a huge challenge.

4 Likes

Great job on th Fool clock!

3 Likes

I used quartz clock movements from amazon. Just the generic brands. For the clock hands I used 1/16" Ash wood from Thin Wood for Scroll Sawing, Lasering - Project Ready Wood Sheets I am guessing any 1/16" light wood will work though.

4 Likes

Thanks this is helpful, did you also follow the grain?

1 Like

just to make sure I am answering right, if the clock hands are at the 12 position the grain is vertical. I didn’t try the other way, but I think that would not be as strong (I didn’t try it so I can’t be sure). There are also several layers of finish and the print color.

3 Likes

Thanks, yes this is what I meant :slight_smile:

When making the 5 handed hands I found that the ones going with the grain in the way you said worked well but the ones going across the grain broke really easily.

Thanks for indulging me, this was helpful!

3 Likes

These are great! Love the tarot clock.

4 Likes

Ouiija look at that! Those are beautiful :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Love that fool clock! Super cool!

3 Likes

These are all beautiful!

3 Likes

I wonder if you’d be a able to get away with using a stiff wood veneer for hands as well.

1 Like

Beautiful artwork and color! Making your own clock hands seems like a real challenge but it looks like it was worth it in the end!

3 Likes

I think I have some veneer laying around somewhere. I may give it a try.

2 Likes

very nice; it’s quite a challenge to design clock hands that 1) work, and 2) don’t detract from the overall graphics.

3 Likes

Both are beautiful - the colours on the fool - especially the red and blonde hands are ab fab. Those moon hands are chef’s kiss.

Beautiful work!

2 Likes

Love your clock!!!

1 Like