CNC 3D engrave - plus diode laser

This little machine looks very capable for the price.

Edit; Bad link

1 Like

I get a 404 on the other end

1 Like

Try this…

7 Likes

Hmmm… interesting. @printolaser are you planning on picking it up? And if you do, please tell us what you think.

1 Like

Almost brave enough, but budget is blown for toys. Christmas sucked up disposable income - and then some.

6 Likes

It’s certainly neat, although I suspect you’d run into size issues pretty quickly. That kind of power would be good for doing slow wood engraving or paper art, I’d just want it on a much bigger XY box.

4 Likes

Yes, I would expect an immediate desire for more real estate.

3 Likes

This is the kind of thing I would want on the Expansion port of the Glowforge!
A little diode laser to mark metals. And possibly a router. I would imagine that you would need a vacuum shroud around the router to capture the dust, but it could be doable.

7 Likes

That does look sweet, but yeah, the size.

1 Like

Need to buy some big boy tools to finish up my wood shop or else id seriously consider this.

Thanks for the link!

I think there is one on amazon for 100 or less that is twice the power

Engraver Printer , COLEMETER 1000mW USB DIY Engraver Box Mini Art Craft Science Industry Engraving Cutting Machine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KM1YF4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8i7Byb8WCFPMS

This one is prime eligible

2 Likes

From the picture on Amazon, that one is only laser, no milling. It looks like the drive mechanism is (as common for that kind of machine) based on CD/DVD drives, which limits travel to about 50mm each way. (The fancy one is 130x90mm x40mm height, which could actually machine quite a lot of stuff if you were patient.) In my sidebar at that site, btw, I noticed a “things you might like” 2.5W laser head for $65. If I ever get back to the toys I was building that would be pretty cool…

2 Likes

fair warning, most of those cheap diodes are garbage. a legit one that will cut with the power you expect from its rating will be substantially more expensive (a local friend went through a few of those before discovering that).

3 Likes

What did your friend end up getting that did what he wanted?

https://jtechphotonics.com/?product_cat=laser-and-driver-combo-kits

2 Likes

Can anyone chime in on a suitable machine (from experience) for engraving brass taxidermy/plaque plates? I have considered one of the machines in the listing, as an alternative to a dedicated engraving machine ($5k +/-).

I missed the mill part. My bad for speed reading at work

2 Likes

For something on that scale, I’d 100% buy this, probably:

5 Likes

My first CNC machine was a TAIG micro mill. I learned a lot with it and would recommend it.

There are MANY factors to consider when buying a mill. I was lucky in that I basically only had two choices when I started. Now there are so many options that it will be very difficult picking the “best” one for your needs.

My advice: the thing you should determine first is the absolute most you’re willing to spend. The market is very competative and you basically get what you pay for. There will always be one that is just a little better if you’re willing to spend just a little more.

8 Likes