CNC paired with Glowforge?

That’s how snapmarks work, but only a limited group of early users ever got them - it was never an official feature designed for mass release.

1 Like

Or perhaps do the shaping on the cnc first, leave it in the square/rectangle with tabs, the laser the design in/on. I’m planning to try this on a Mother’s Day gift heart shaped box

2 Likes

I own a FDM 3D printer, a SLA 3D printer, a Glowforge, a Taig 4-axis CNC milling machine, and a BlueChick CNC router. They’re all good for different things, with some overlap. I use all my machines on a fairly regular basis. In some cases combined operations - like I’ll 3D print something with the FDM (which is fast, and most of the materials are mechanically stronger than SLA prints, but the prints aren’t nearly as accurate tolerance-wise than SLA) and then finish the features I need to have tight mechanical tolerances on the CNC (SLA is accurate enough it usually isn’t necessary).

I’ve made stuff that uses parts from the Glowforge and one of the 3D printers, with some parts that are CNC’d. But I’ve never had a reason to combine the GF with anything else. The GF excels at marking and cutting flat stuff, and for the most part that’s all it gets used for. The GF is not nearly as good at making 3D contoured surfaces as the CNC is (though it is faster). 3 dimensional parts with complicated geometries get 3D printed because that’s much easier to do that to CNC them. But for stuff that has to be strong, I cut it from solid plastic blocks or metal on the CNC.

4 Likes

I have not purchased yet, but I have been looking at the Genmitsu. There are a few sizes and the review seem good. Still considering it as I think it would be a good add, too!

I built a fairly simple CNC: MPCNC, kind of a roll your own with a 3D printer and some hardware store materials. I love it. I made some boxes that has the lid fit into the base. Used the laser to engrave the top. I’m happy with it.

1 Like

I am finding a good use for a small CNC I think that if a 3d relief for the Glowforge has gone wrong there is no easy way to get it flat again.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.